Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Wheel Q

zebidi

Im looking to get some wheels which are:

16x7 ET40

I'd want to know what would be the widest tyres that i could fit onto a 7j rim.

would it be ok to fit 235s?

The width of the tyre and the J size of the rim depends on the profile of the tyre too... for instance...

A 235/70x16 tyre can fit onto a rim from 6J to 8.8J... but......

With a 235/45x17, it is recommended to have at least an 8J rim.. but they can fit up to 9.5J.

Anything from a standard 80' profile down to a 50' profile = 6J to 8.5J... 45' and lower = 8J to 9.5J.

The width of the tyre and the J size of the rim depends on the profile of the tyre too... for instance...

A 235/70x16 tyre can fit onto a rim from 6J to 8.8J... but......

With a 235/45x17, it is recommended to have at least an 8J rim.. but they can fit up to 9.5J.

Anything from a standard 80' profile down to a 50' profile = 6J to 8.5J... 45' and lower = 8J to 9.5J.

thanks cfc you're a star! ;)

i had 235/40/17 on my 7J rears... and never had any problems with it. I had opted for the Toyo Proxe rubber which is a bit softer than your normal tyre so was nice and snug.

Didnt have any issues with buldging either.. only on close inspection could you notice the difference to the fronts which were 215/40/17.

If you check my profile for pics of my MR2.. you will see them in there on the platinum Lenzo rims. :)

i had 235/40/17 on my 7J rears... and never had any problems with it. I had opted for the Toyo Proxe rubber which is a bit softer than your normal tyre so was nice and snug.

Didnt have any issues with buldging either.. only on close inspection could you notice the difference to the fronts which were 215/40/17.

If you check my profile for pics of my MR2.. you will see them in there on the platinum Lenzo rims. :)

really? so it wasnt dodgy at all? :S

really? so it wasnt dodgy at all? :S

It aint ideal by any means but didnt cause me any issues whatsoever.

I can only go by my own experiances but quite a few chaps ont he MR2 boards are running this setup as well quite happily. :thumbsup:

Thing is, when i took the car on track i used the standard rims so never really gave the 235's a full hard core thrashing although i dont drive slow by any means on the roads as some will confirm :lol: They gripped the road perfectly.

All i was doing was giving you my proffesional recommendation.. nothing more.

Every wheel and tyres combination is different, 235/40 tyres WILL go onto a 7J rim, and it shouldn't cause you any problems... the tyre fitter fitting them will have the problem, especially if your choosen tyres have a stiff sidewall :lol:.. make sure there are no scrapes you are not aware of on your wheels before and after fitting.. with a tight fitting tyre/rim combination, and a poorly maintained tyre changer, it is very easy to mark an alloy. I have accumulated several t-shirts over the years :lol:

All i was doing was giving you my proffesional recommendation.. nothing more.

Every wheel and tyres combination is different, 235/40 tyres WILL go onto a 7J rim, and it shouldn't cause you any problems... the tyre fitter fitting them will have the problem, especially if your choosen tyres have a stiff sidewall :lol:.. make sure there are no scrapes you are not aware of on your wheels before and after fitting.. with a tight fitting tyre/rim combination, and a poorly maintained tyre changer, it is very easy to mark an alloy. I have accumulated several t-shirts over the years :lol:

so they should run fine, just the fitter is gonna have a go?

i will get 16x8 on the back if i can

but sizes arent that available these days in that setting so might be stuck with 7s :(

16x7 front and back with

215/45/16 on the front or 225/40 if that would fit

and 235/40/16 on the rear, toyos of course

what you think? also remember to check out my other thread as ive updated it with more piccys!! :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links