Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Connection Problems

Robie

I am currently only getting the equivalent of a 1 meg connection at themoment despite being on 4meg.

I phoned NTL and they done a test where I downloaded .net framework from microsoft.com and I managed to get 4-500kbps which is perfectly normal for a 4mb connection.

This test was done without the router so they blamed the router but on further investigation I still manage to get 500kbps download rate from Microsoft with the router yet when I do adslguide and bandwidth place tests it says my speed is around 1 meg.

Youtube videos are loading infuriatingly slow as well as pictures and I am certain it is down to 1 meg despite the download rate from Microsoft.

How is this possible? I have tested on a number of machines and so am pretty sure it's not software. Minimal changes to software have occured since full service and no changes to my router so what could be happening?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Edit: My upstream rate is over double my download! :S

Edit: My upstream rate is over double my download! :S

Then your download is nowhere near 1 meg ;)

Given that you can download stuff quickly there isn't anything actually wrong with your system. Chances are its completely down to NTL being garbage and will probably sort itself out eventually. Just me being cynical here, but NTL use a transparent proxy system to try and keep their bandwidth cost down. It wouldn't surprise me if their tech support told you to download a file that they knew was in the proxy's cache, so it was nice and fast and they could tell you everything was ok. If you try and get something that isn't in the cache (or can't be cached, like a speed test) and they actually have to use their oversubscribed (or just plain broken) external connections then its slow.

Good point,

I will phone them up and contest this as I'm pretty sure it is a problem their end. I've had it for about a week now and did think it would sort itself out but clearly not.

I am trying to attach a file showing a speed test and download at the same time. Hope it works....

post-6106-1164275461_thumb.jpg

58kbps?!?!?!?

As the graph shows that's barely better than dial up modem speed, certainly nowhere near any kind of broadband.

Edit... of course if the Microsoft download is alreay hogging all your bandwidth that won't help, but you still wouldn't expect the speed checker result to be that slow.

Excellent thanks Flat Pack.

I contested their test using downloads and they tested the proxy server and it is the local proxy server that was slowing me down. So they gave me a nice fast proxy server ip to use and now I'm back to normal :)

Of course they gave the old; "We don't endorse these speed test's" "I've had engineers out myself because I thought the speed tests were right" But they are a good guide and I can tell when my connection is slow.

Good good, the ADSLGuide speed test is normally on the money though ;)

I just ran it to check its working and got

Downstream 5,095.4 Kbps ( = 5.0 Mbps )

Upstream 616.6 Kbps ( = 0.6 Mbps )

Which is the sort of figure I expect from my ADSL :)

NTL over the past week has been up and down as much as a tart's knickers!

It is proper annoying as it keeps reseting my vpn connections to work.

The numpty call centre will blame anything other than there connection.

You can see what upgrades and stuff they are doing to their network here.

I've been having issues with ntl too. Last night I was downloading and thespeed was fluctuating between 17KB/sec upto a peak of around 55KB/sec when I should be getting a nice solid 280KB/sec. I checked their site and it shows they have ongoing maintenance atm so I'm just going to have to wait until it sorts things out.

Couple of customers we support are on BT - same problem.

Downloading at 400+ Kbs but web pages are pish slow.

Adslguide says 1.8mb on a 8mb line across 5 sites - sitll scratching my head on this one.

J

NTL are class value for moeny and they even answered their phones before 5 minutes today.

We have the tv including football, phone and broadband and it is really good value for money.

Even with a little bit of downtime.

It is my local proxy server that was restricting my web page viewing so they gave me an ip to use for a few days and then see if the local proxy is fixed. So others who are experiencing this I would recommend you phone your customer support.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links