Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris Gearbox Vs Old Yaris Automatic

woody57

Having driven my old Yaris Vvti automatic, for 4 years,i cant tell you how dissapointed i am with the new multi mode gearbox trasmission in my new Yaris t -spirit its probably the worst gearbox in any car i have ever driven,how have you found this new gearbox? jim

• 2 years later...

hi Jim

sorry to hear about yr problems with the new MMT clutch system.. :( I read on the net that many pp are unhappy with it!!

I have never driven one before, however I am thinking of buying the old yaris VVT-i 1.3 automatic gearbox... and wanted to ask your opinion about it, if thats ok?

many thanks

Luca

I have the 2008 Yaris with the "auto" gearbox and a Renault master Motorhome with a similar type of gear box. The system is simply a manual gearbox with computer controlled auto changing and hence it's characteristics are totally different from that of an auto gearbox with torque converter. With the new Yaris type of auto gearbox smaller and lower powered engines can be used due to the greater efficiency of the drive chain.

I find that if I drive each vehicle with reasonable accelerations then I find both gearboxes a great improvement on the do-it-yourself versions.

Perhaps they are not so good for those keen to get the "best" out of their cars - the foot flat to the floor merchants - as they will not change gear at the correct revs. You must remember that the Yaris is not designed or sold as a sports car, it's probably intended for the old sods like me.

Cruise control and the auto gearbox makes cruising very relaxing.

hi Jim

sorry to hear about yr problems with the new MMT clutch system.. :( I read on the net that many pp are unhappy with it!!

I have never driven one before, however I am thinking of buying the old yaris VVT-i 1.3 automatic gearbox... and wanted to ask your opinion about it, if thats ok?

many thanks

Luca

Hi Luca, I have the 1.3 auto and find the gearbox quite good! It is not the fastest accelerating car on the planet but it is adequate and the gearing suits the car for most day to day driving.

I beleive the older box, cant remember what they called it, on the 1l, was a bit unreliable/problematic but the 'proper' auto, with the change down, overdrive, etc, is a good'un!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links