Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Low Engine Idle?

wlsmith

Hi all, before i describe the problem will give a bit of background information first, the '2 had the engine replaced a few months ago due to a blown botton end, ever since i have got it back I have had some problems with it.. firstly it was overheating, at first i thought this was due to the headgasket, but its fine if its topped up with water about once every 2 weeks, found out that i needed a new radiator so it was replaced... However, Ever since i got the car back with the new engine.. it always seems to idle at a low rate and it sometimes stalls if i have my foot on the brake when i am in traffic, or if i am slowing down at a roundabout to stop... it kind of shudders, sounds really unhealthy and then it just stalls..., so i have to restart it, its generally fine driving around however it has done this on quite a few occasions over the past few months, it also happens if i am letting it "creep" along in traffic without my foot on the accelerator (its an automatic you see), then sometimes if i press the break it starts to shudder and then sometimes stalls.. I was thinking its down to the low idle, it idles below the "1" mark on the rev counter, i would estimate it idles at around 700 - 800 is this right or is my timing out of whack? any help would be appreciated as i want to get to the bottom of this so its running perfectly!

its weird... because in higher revs it has no problems what so ever.. its just when im driving really slowly/coming to a stop.. it kinda shudders then it cuts out..could it possibly be something to do with the idle control valve?

If the engine was replaced and the problem started since then is it possible its a hose thats not been quite attached properly? or a hose thats perished and blown due to the increase in stability in the engine(due to replaced) and relative weakness somewhere else thats been exacerbated due to said increase?

best of luck mate finding prob :)

is it under warranty? if so get them to sort it?

Finally maybe AA or RAC it and see if they can diagnose it? the last time I had mad prob with my import 2 the RAC had the right problem diagnosed in 10 minutes. Might be necessary to drive down the road a mile and wait for them to attend if dont have homestart tho. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links