Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Oil Consumption

ColinC

I have an MR2, 1990, G-Limited (3sGE).

I had an oil change + fill over 3000 miles ago. When the oil was added, it was overfilled (on the dipstick, it was right up above the "F").

Now, after 3000+ miles, the oil level on the dipstick shows about 45% full.

I don't know how many litres that is, but does it sound like excessive oil usage, or is this to be expected from a 1990 car? My Celica didn't use this much oil!

This is well known on the older engines, mine is exactly the same, they drink the stuff.

So I guess it's just normal engine wear, and nothing to be alarmed about?

I should also point out that it's running a little rich - a mate of mine said if I replaced the O2 sensor, the fuel + oil consumption would go down, as they had done on his Celica.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that you didn't say what mileage your car has done. That will play a key figure as well and the age of the car too.

jerry!!

How far above the "F" was it?

If the engine was slightly overfilled, the oil would be "consumed" gradually over time - normal wear & tear.

If the oil was over-filled by a large amount and you did the 3000 miles in a week, I'd be a little concerned and start looking at oil seals.

If your oil pressure is still OK and you're not burning blue smoke from the exhaust, I wouldn't worry too much.

Was the car run just before the level was checked? If it wasn't then the empty oil filter would've taken a small amount of oil to fill its void straight after you'd gone out for a drive - making you think you've used lots of oil.

If you check the level after you've put new oil in, then let the car idle for a minute or two - re-chceck the level and it will have dropped a small amount because of the filter filling. I did this after servicing my MR2 and got worried thinking it was drinking its oil but actually it wasn't.

HTH

Alex

Was the car run just before the level was checked? If it wasn't then the empty oil filter would've taken a small amount of oil to fill its void straight after you'd gone out for a drive - making you think you've used lots of oil.

If you check the level after you've put new oil in, then let the car idle for a minute or two - re-chceck the level and it will have dropped a small amount because of the filter filling. I did this after servicing my MR2 and got worried thinking it was drinking its oil but actually it wasn't.

HTH

Alex

Doubt that's possible dude...

The filter is on the end of the oil pump.

Besides the amount of oil the filter would "take" wouldn't really show on the dipstick. When checking oil levels it's advised the car is stood for a while to let circulated oil settle to give you an accurate reading.

To respond; the mileage is anybody's guess - it says 101,000 at the moment, but when the car was sold to me I was told that it had a new engine dropped in two years previously. So perhaps the mileage is correct, but I couldn't say for sure.

Recently the oil was at around 20% full (according to the dipstick reading), so I bought 1 litre of oil and added it, check it again, and the thing was right up above the full line again - strange! Perhaps it has something to do with the weather conditions. The oil also looked a bit thicker.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links