Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Small Number Plate

raywong

seen a few cars around in small number plate, just wondering if these are illegal providing all the spacing, letter size, and style of fonts are to the correct measurement?

DSC00046.jpg

IF they are legal, wots your opinion on them? i am only after the front one so i am less likely to get stopped..

Thx

Ray :thumbsup:

Yes illegal and wheather you get stopped or not will come down to the copper in question that sees it.

The letters are the correct size, but I sure the spacing is meant to be bigger

The spacing is wrong & it must be clear what each number & letter is, that fails on both of those. I had to look a couple of times to be sure what that plate actually was, that's what the police try to stop because if that car was involved in a crime it'd be harder for a witness to identify.

If I had that plate on my car I'd fully expect to be pulled up for it, especially with it implying they're a thug, they're exactly the type of people police like to catch

There is a law to how much plastic there should be around the letters,

Mine has been 'cropped' but has passed 3 MOT's and not one copper has said anything about it during routine stops.

But then again, I drove 4 months with it in my front windscreen and never got stopped so it could be my area. I think Jimlad managed a year with it in his window.

LOL :lol::lol::lol:

Look at the "thug".... in a womans car :lol:

I am not sure if that first link is correct though?

» New Font Size and Display

All new number plates must be made using the new mandatory font size and display requirements.

Imports don't have to conform to the UK standards, as uk lettering will simply not fit on many imports.

Does anyone have the import reg plate laws?

This website might help with legal plate sizes.

That's a good link :) There aren't actually any requirements for the width or height of a plate, only that the letters are the right font, the right size, correctly spaced and sufficiently far in from the edges of the plate. The one you've pictured isn't a great example as the letters are too close to the edge.

I run a perfectly legal 'small' front plate on my car. Its an import so can also use the motorcycle font size and spacing if required to fit (which it is) which makes it even smaller. Its BS marked and meets all the regulations its needs to. The problem is most non-traffic (and probably some traffic) cops don't know the law and might well pull me for it being too small anyway, could be a pain if they get in a strop when they find out they're wrong.

Same with bikes - must be of a certain size, and have the correct size lettiner and spacing.

Alternatively, register the car in Geurnsey, get a cool black & silver plate, pay naff all in road tax, and whizz straight thru the speed cameras in the UK! :D

So its the Motorbike no plates that apply to us? Are there any offical sites that say this in black and white??

I guesss my car does have a yamaha engine :P

<-- the UK plate looks stupendously big on my car and doesn't quite fit properly :P

OK - a bit more research has brought me this - towards thebottom of page two it says

"Smaller size plates (for certain imported vehicles)

Character Height 64mm

Character Width (except the figure 1 or I) 44mm

Character Stroke 10mm

Space between characters 10mm

Diagrams of the standard permitted numberplate layouts and requirements are shown in Appendix 7."

but there is no appendix 7 :help:

I know I've found this info before so I'll keep looking :)

Good work! I knew it was there somewhere....

Not official info, but I got mine from CraigsPlates and that pages tells you everything you need to know about import plates.

I'll go take a piccy so you can see just how small a plate you can have on an import :)

Jimlads old one had the whole thing on one line on a square plate, looked good but told to get them changed.

Nothing wrong with that provided the letters were spaced properly :) Like I said, problem is that the cops don't know the law anyway.

Here's mine, sorry for the rubbish pics but my digi cam's Battery is flat and my phone doesn't like the dark :P

And the all important BS marking

Sweeeeeeeet I need one :D

So its the Motorbike no plates that apply to us? Are there any offical sites that say this in black and white??

<-- the UK plate looks stupendously big on my car and doesn't quite fit properly :P

Errrr... When did i say that? I said "Same with bikes," not "same as." :!Removed!:

Tard.....

Errrr... When did i say that? I said "Same with bikes," not "same as." :!Removed!:

Tard.....

Flat Pack said it Gnome.....

Numpty......

Arent you all ;)

Join the darkside JJ...

It's great when you can do stupid stuff and not have to explain yourself. :D

Its quite hard to tell how big the plate is from my other pic, so with the help of my beautiful assistant, here's one with a standard size plate to compare :)

Yes its even worse than the previous ones and the reflective plates have crazy crazy glare, but you get the picture :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links