Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shared Drives

vmail

Hi, could someone tell me what are the benifits and problems of having a shared drive leading to a garage

My last house had a shared drive which led to my garage at the bottom.

All is good if you have a good relationship with your neighbour.

Bad moments for me were,

They sometimes parked in the drive when they were just 'nipping in' but clashed to when I was leaving a few times a week.

Meeting each other in the drive caused a few problems.

Dropping off the weekly shopping took some 'driveway' time.

Nexts doors visitors didnt seem to grasp the concept of 'sharing a drive'.

Next door was having some work done in the kitchen and they dumped tools and pile of sand in driveway resulting me driving over the sand.

Only benifit was next door were keen to keep the drive clear of weeds.

at the moment we have a shared drive but me and my neighbour get on well so i use his spot to put my boat on as i only really use it at weekends in the summer and he parks his works van in my spot as hes in and out all the time but if i didnt get on with them it would be a complete nightmare.

There are no benefits to having a shared drive unless the house next door is empty like the one next to us now

We got on with our neighbour well before he moved out but that still didnt stop him blocking us in, having to wake him all times of the day to get the car out, more than once he parked behind us, blocked us in then went to the pub and forgot to leave his keys, he also did this to one of our visitors - we had to go to the pub and get the keys off him to shift the car, one day i couldnt wake him to shift the car and i was going to be late for work - so i had to leave it and take the bus!

Trust me - its a royal pain in the ar*e, dont buy a house with a shared drive - get one of your own instead - makes life much easier!

Teg's more patience than me, only time that happened to me I smashed his drivers window and pushed the car out of the way.

Funnily it never happened again :D

hmm, I'll have to have another look then.

Do you need planning permission to build a garage and does it cost anything to get the permission?

Planning permission all depends on how far away it is from the house and if it is one of those concrete ones that you build on a base.

Concrete section garages are good for permission because they aren't classed as perminant.

I've just found a house on the same road with a garage and a private drive,

I've just found a house on the same road with a garage and a private drive,

go for that one- even if it is more expensive - it will be worth it completely

ryan: Trust me i felt like smashing his face in never mind his car window - but then he redeemed himself sometimes and he is my dads friend so he got away with it :!Removed!:

No, its in Hull.

Its a bit cheaper than the one with the shared drive, and the one with no garage. I dont like the tiles in the kitchen. I have to learn how to put tiles on a wall.

No, its in Hull.

Its a bit cheaper than the one with the shared drive, and the one with no garage. I dont like the tiles in the kitchen. I have to learn how to put tiles on a wall.

Or get a professional to do it - much less stressful and not as expensive as you would think

Our neighbours werent that bad, Tegan, you prob got the worst case!

I think we probably did, tbh dont know how we put up with him for so long, but then again i have something to thank him for, he bought my fiesta mk1 which my dad later bought for me, so i love him for that lol

They were good neighbours at the start, they even moved in with us at one point because their house got burnt out on ground floor - they lived with us until they got it back to livable state - then it all went downhill from there! :!Removed!:

We have a shared drive to our house...shared with 4 houses, although there are only two at the top... No biggie really, although everyone else seems slow to cought up in paying for the maintenance we pay for it, and sometimes its a pita when you meet someone comming the other way.

looks like the shared drive is not going to be a problem, the neighbour uses their garage to store stuff instead

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links