Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight Problem.....potentially X 2

clarky666

:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

Hey folks.

First time poster here, hoping you can help me out as i am in the bit a panic.

I have a MR2 G-Limited 1996 which is generally in very good condition for it's age. I've not had it long but so far so good. However last night when i was leaving my mums house she noticed one of my pop-ups wasn't coming on. I stopped to investigate and found out what i thought was my near-side headlight bulb had gone. However fullbeam still works fine which is a bit bemusing. It's been a while since i did electronics so i'm hoping it is a 2 filament / element bulb for normal/fullbeam switching as opposed to anything more sinister - fuses, etc seem ok so i'm hoping it is this.

Now the annoying part. The screws obviously haven't been maintained since it was bought (which i guess is a good thing showing it's reliability) so unfortunately they have seized and rusted and as a result the screwdriver slot is just boring out and coming away on 3/4 of the screws meaning i can't get into it. I've tried WD40 and 1001 different tools but they seem to be knackered completely.

I'm fortunate enough to know a good mechanic who will have a look at it for me and i doubt will take anything besides the obligatory bottle of his choice as a token of appreciation but with it being a favour i'll have to do it on his terms when he has free time obviously. I'm assuming i'll have to get him to drill the screws and put on a full new thread on each of the slots, i suppose i could do this but not got a lot of time and not 100% confident.

Just really wondering if there was any other ideas? Obviously if i'm wrong with the initial diagnosis on the bulb then this won't be needed but as i said i'm figuring it's one bulb with 2 elements and the dimmed one has blown.

Fortunately i still have my Clio to run around in at night and if thats otherwise disposed of by the lady then i have a lazy eye kit which i can use to drive around with full-beam on and the lights half tucked in but still not very viable long time and it'll make a few people on the roads :angry:

Thankyou in advance - Steven.

Replace the bulb mate, that will sort out your problem. As for the screw, like you said, drill it out. Just be carefull. A new screw should go back in without any problems though!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links