Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Noise

SilverT4

Set off on my 35 mile trip home from work yesterday. After a couple of miles I became aware of a noise developing. It seemed to be from the back wheels sort of a high pitched scraping noise. The sound changed as I accelerated or decelerated, so i'm sure it was from the wheels.

After a few miles it was getting louder and starting to sound 'expensive' so I pulled into a car park, had a look around the rear wheels but could see nothing unusual.

As i put it into reverse to exit the parking spot, there was a horrible scraping, grinding noise and then a final 'twang' and the noise stopped. I drove slowly around the car park for a few minutes and everything seemed to be normal.

Decided to carry on my journey and after another couple of miles the noise started again and it was getting quite loud. Unfortunately I was in some road works on the motorway with no hard shoulder to stop on, so I carried on for another couple of miles pondering about whether to carry on my journey home or stop and call the RAC

Then the noise stopped again. I carried on for the next 25 miles and everything was ok - absolutley no sign of the noise. Today i am not at work but have driven a couple of miles to the shops and everything seems fine.

I'm baffled as to what caused this, and obviously worried that it may return in which case a trip to the local Toyota dealer will be necessary. Of course the car is now just out of its three year warranty, so it could be expensive!

Anybody any thoughts on what this may be?

Set off on my 35 mile trip home from work yesterday. After a couple of miles I became aware of a noise developing. It seemed to be from the back wheels sort of a high pitched scraping noise. The sound changed as I accelerated or decelerated, so i'm sure it was from the wheels.

<snip>

Anybody any thoughts on what this may be?

Hi, whoever

The noise was probably a stone or similar item, caught in one of your disk brakes. Reversing moved or freed it, as is usually the case. If the noise has now stopped the stone is presumably gone. Damage to the brake (did you manage to identify which wheel?) is not normally very likely but it is possible, especially if you drove on after hearing the noise, so a mechanic should examine the brakes. Doesn't have to be a Toyota dealer, they are quite standard items.

Jerryw

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links