Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newish Prius Owner - Couple Of Questions

MatthewG

Hi

My wife and I have recently bought an 05 Prius T3.

Great car - my wife loves not having to move her left foot! :D

Two things I'd value advice on:

1. Brake lights - the brake lights don't come on until the brake pedal is depressed about 1/4 of the way down. I can therefore brake (albeit gently) without the brake lights coming on. Is this normal for a Prius? My wife had it at the Toyota dealership today who said they could find nothing wrong with it :huh:

2. Fuel economy - I know that expecting the official Toyota economy figures is unrealistic but we have only been getting 45 - 48mpg since getting the car in November. Is this different enough from other peolple's experience to suggest there is something wrong with the car?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Matthew

hi,

regarding brake lights....i dont' seem to have that problem.

Regarding mileage.....actually i think it depends on how you drive and what speed and whether its constant or rapidly fluctuating.

Well, i have been getting only 45 to 50 and rarely 52 mpg that too on becoming over conscious of driving to get more mileage....now i have stopped worrying about this. This is while i was driving in the city.

On motorways, by driving at 55 to 60 mph, my mileage was around 60 mpg (my maximum ever was 64 on one occasion).

And at present that is during winter time, i use the AC all the time....and my mileage is usually around 40 to 45 mpg.

At times, i have gone at speeds of 112 mph on motorway (that's the maximum speed i could get on prius). That time the mpg had dropped down to below 30.

so, i think the mileage varies according to the driving....and the average for most of the people is around 45 to 50mpg against the advertised 67 mpg which is supposed to happen only during perfect driving conditions.

I am not sure whether its the same with vehicles from other company but my wife's mercedes A-class (now 1 year old) gives around 45 mpg while the advertised mileage is 50 mpg....well i am happy with that becuase the difference is only 5 mpg compared to 20mpg difference between advertised and actual mpg of prius.

Hi

1. Brake lights - the brake lights don't come on until the brake pedal is depressed about 1/4 of the way down. I can therefore brake (albeit gently) without the brake lights coming on. Is this normal for a Prius? My wife had it at the Toyota dealership today who said they could find nothing wrong with it :huh:

2. Fuel economy - I know that expecting the official Toyota economy figures is unrealistic but we have only been getting 45 - 48mpg since getting the car in November. Is this different enough from other peolple's experience to suggest there is something wrong with the car?

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

I also have an 05 T3 and I have the same problem with the brake light not coming on until you have depressed the pedal a certain amount, as to the MPG, in winter I get about 53-55, but in summer I get 61-63 mpg.

Hope that this helps,

Rgards,

Dave.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I'll check whether the VIN number of the car corresponds to the recall - sounds like the fault on the recall would result in complete failure of the brake lights rather than the problem I've got but its worth checking out.

Going to speak to the dealership again tommorrow - get them to have another look at it.

Matthew

Hi

I find the variation in the mpg quite interesting. I have ad my 04 T4 for about 8 months, in the summer we averaged about 56 to 59 mpg. Now in the winter we average 51 to 53mpg, we used the air con in the summer but never in the winter.

I ask my local dealership about the difference between sumer mpg and winter mpg, he replied that "his parents also have a Prius and they have said their mpg has dropped recently." He explained this was due to the colder weather.

Has anybody else found the "cold winter" has affected their mpg?

He explained this was due to the colder weather.

Has anybody else found the "cold winter" has affected their mpg?

Yes me too. I'm getting ~55mpg in summer and ~51 now. The engine need to be at a certain temperature to operate efficiently so in cold weather, more petrol is used up to warm up the engine. If you use the car for short distances then the mpg will skydive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have had my new Prius for one week now & have just filled up with fuel, my calculated consumption was 40.4 MPG, but the trip computer showed 50.4 MPG so trip computer not very accurate.

I love driving the prius & find the CVT very good.

I hope that when the engine has run-in that the consuption will improve. The advertised consumption seems very optimistic.

Has anyone else got better consuption when the engine has run-in?

I changed from an Avensis D4D & averaged aroud 50MPG over the year, better in the Summer than the winter.

I find that because the prius dosent have a metal tank the brim and re-fill method of calculating MPG to be quite variable.

The on board computer is a little optimistic, according to other boards around 4-7 mpg.

The thing that annoys me is the 5 mph over read. According to my GPS camera detector and my wifes tom tom. So at 70 mph for an hour I have actually only covered 65 miles. So when the car tells me I have done 10000 miles and need a service I have actually only done 9285 miles :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

So when the car tells me I have done 10000 miles and need a service I have actually only done 9285 miles :angry:

Isn't this illegal? Same as tampering to have a car thats done 20000 miles read 10000. But in this case its the opposite......

I think you'll find the car knows exactly what speed it is doing and how many miles it's covered but displays the speed as being up to 10% faster than you are actually moving.

There have been discussions on this subject on some of the more technical Prius forums.

It is possible (can't remeber how) to put the LCD display into diagnostic mode. in one of it's modes it will show you true measured speed rather than the speedo display speed. They do show different results.

It' also been well discussed elsewhere that most modern EU cars show a higher speed than they are actually travelling at. I think there is EU legislation on the subject.

Sorry to be so vague but I think you'll find the "problem" occurs on many modern cars.

Malc

• 2 weeks later...

I have also noticed that my speedometer reading is on the generous side. I use a snooper detector which will compute your average speed over 4 secs against the satellite tracking position and real time clock as this is showing about 6mph less than the speedomemter reading I subtract the difference and use that as a more accurate guide . So if I want to drive at 70mph I drive at an indicate 73mph on the speedometer.

It seems a shame that the speedo's can't be calibrated accurately as the input are electronic pulses from the transmission.

I bet their is a calibration twiddly pot somewhere or some software fudge factor lurking in the bowels of the prious electronics.....

• 2 weeks later...

You'll find that all cars over-read the speed slightly. Something to do with manufacturers not wanting to be sued if they under-read, so making them over-read on purpose. 5mph out at 70 seems perfectly normal. Anything up to 10% out is typical.

Interestingly my Corolla T Sport over-reads by a bit under 5% (compared with Tom Tom), but I drove the other day at a constant speed after re-setting the trip computer, the average speed on the trip was the same as the satnav speed, and a bit less than the speedo speed.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

Matthew

Hi

Matthew

Hi

Matthew

Hi Mathew, I have just bought my second Prius in two years. The second one only averages 50mpg but has sparkling acceleration, for a little motor, compared to the first one, which managed over 60mpg. I suspect that Toyota have put in a different computer programme to control the performance it is so different. I want to know if I cam get it changed to the same as my previous car. Dave C

Hi

I have had my new Prius for one week now & have just filled up with fuel, my calculated consumption was 40.4 MPG, but the trip computer showed 50.4 MPG so trip computer not very accurate.

I hope that when the engine has run-in that the consuption will improve. The advertised consumption seems very optimistic.

I changed from an Avensis D4D & averaged aroud 50MPG over the year, better in the Summer than the winter.

Hi I think they have put a different programme into the Prius computer to beef it up a bit. Chatt

Hi

Matthew

Hi

Matthew

Hi

Matthew

Hi Mathew, I have just bought my second Prius in two years. The second one only averages 50mpg but has sparkling acceleration, for a little motor, compared to the first one, which managed over 60mpg. I suspect that Toyota have put in a different computer programme to control the performance it is so different. I want to know if I cam get it changed to the same as my previous car. Dave C

Hi

Hi I think they have put a different programme into the Prius computer to beef it up a bit. Chatt

Hi

Matthew

Hi

Matthew

:D Hi had my Prius for 3months now & traveled over 3300miles. At first the consumption was not as expected. But now getting over 50MPG on short trips to work.

Went to London at Easter & traveled 918miles round trip & used 69litres of fuel , an average of 60.46 MPG.

Tried to keep to 70MPH where possible.

This is more like the consumption I expected.

Also the prius is a great car to drive & I am very pleaed with it.

:toast::toast:

hi,

regarding brake lights....i dont' seem to have that problem.

Regarding mileage.....actually i think it depends on how you drive and what speed and whether its constant or rapidly fluctuating.

Well, i have been getting only 45 to 50 and rarely 52 mpg that too on becoming over conscious of driving to get more mileage....now i have stopped worrying about this. This is while i was driving in the city.

On motorways, by driving at 55 to 60 mph, my mileage was around 60 mpg (my maximum ever was 64 on one occasion).

And at present that is during winter time, i use the AC all the time....and my mileage is usually around 40 to 45 mpg.

At times, i have gone at speeds of 112 mph on motorway (that's the maximum speed i could get on prius). That time the mpg had dropped down to below 30.

so, i think the mileage varies according to the driving....and the average for most of the people is around 45 to 50mpg against the advertised 67 mpg which is supposed to happen only during perfect driving conditions.

I am not sure whether its the same with vehicles from other company but my wife's mercedes A-class (now 1 year old) gives around 45 mpg while the advertised mileage is 50 mpg....well i am happy with that becuase the difference is only 5 mpg compared to 20mpg difference between advertised and actual mpg of prius.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links