Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Renault 5 Gt

Baby Yari

Haven't posted for a while and I'm stuck at work at mo so I thought I'd put my query out to you lot! I'm looking to buy a Renault 5 GT turbo but have never driven one or even been in one! Just basically after a bit more info into the 5 so if theres any previous or current owners about I'd much appreciate your thoughts about it!! Thanks :thumbsup:

I have only two words for you:- "fried electronics"

If you do then, well, good luck :unsure:

A

seriously avoid uppin the boost unless cooling has been sorted, they get extremely hot as standard!

if you can get a raider, easily spotted by the side exit exhaust, becomin real collectors items and will be gaining value in the future

Renault 5 GT turbo? That takes me back 20 years!

I’m sure there are better cars from that era out there. I would prefer the Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 version or the Astra GTE.

You never see the old Renault 5 now, anywhere!

The problem with getting a car like that is that it has almost enevitably been thrashed to within an inch (Cm.) of its useful life................................be extreemly carefull..................Good luck :thumbsup:

ahh the good old 5 gt turbo. I think the early ones had a lot of common faults with cables snapping (clutch cable especially) and if not looked after head gaskets were a common problem..

you will be lucky to find a standard unmolested one and if you do you'll be paying anything from 2k upwards..

great little fun cars and with a few tweaks they provide a lot of fun -

I had a 89G reg black one (first i ever bought) caused me a few problems but then got another H-reg about a year later and it was a great car..

I can still remember waking up in the mornings and starting the car - putting on the manual choke - going back inside getting changed / having breakfast and it would just about be warm to drive to school :lol:

Rash

p.s. think i might start looking for one myself now :thumbsup:

They are becomming very rare now indeed! Would like to find a decentish one for a decent price and anything that needs doing to it I was planning on doing myself. I think I just see it as a bit of a spring/summer project really.

Thanks for the links Ross, will have a look later!

ahh the good old 5 gt turbo. I think the early ones had a lot of common faults with cables snapping (clutch cable especially) and if not looked after head gaskets were a common problem..

you will be lucky to find a standard unmolested one and if you do you'll be paying anything from 2k upwards..

great little fun cars and with a few tweaks they provide a lot of fun -

I had a 89G reg black one (first i ever bought) caused me a few problems but then got another H-reg about a year later and it was a great car..

I can still remember waking up in the mornings and starting the car - putting on the manual choke - going back inside getting changed / having breakfast and it would just about be warm to drive to school :lol:

Rash

p.s. think i might start looking for one myself now :thumbsup:

Yeah do! You can help me find one too!!! :yahoo:

R5 Turbos absolutely ROCK!!!! The only decent Renhult that has ever rolled out of frog country.

In essence they are absolute crap! Bacofoil and a turbo charged carb 1.4 lump! Crap electronics and prone to over heating and horrific oversteer.

But they weigh about 6 kilos and handle like a tarmac racer, a mildly tweaked one will upset most 2litre sports efforts on the planet :D

BUT... shagged ones are easy to come by and youll spend alot on a minter, but they are out there... look for a Raider special edition, normally in dark blue.

Or just by a nackered one, have fun in it, then set it on fire and go back to your old car

R5 Turbos absolutely ROCK!!!! The only decent Renhult that has ever rolled out of frog country.

What about the 5 Turbo2 - :D

R5upfront.jpg

Showing off my sad car knowledge now...

A

No poor attempt there Woody. Put it this way, the Renaultsport Clio V6 was not the first renault hatch to have the engine where the back seats should be. It was developed for racing too and would still kick the bottom* of many new sports cars - providing the the driver could handle it.

A

*%$(ing hyper-sensitive swear filter...

Still not a 6R4 though :P Which is still quicker and looks better? (Correct me if i'm wrong :P) Although i'm assuming it costs alot more! Tbh i'm out of my depth as don't know much about either!

Still not a 6R4 though :P Which is still quicker and looks better? (Correct me if i'm wrong :P) Although i'm assuming it costs alot more! Tbh i'm out of my depth as don't know much about either!

Certainly - no it does not look better ...no no no nooo

No idea about performance though

My mate had one of these, he got an additional boost vavle fitted and this was the proverbial rocket, seriously fast car for about three months then the turbo blew and fried the cylinder head. On the next one he got something additional done with the intercooler and was more cautious about the additional boost.

Yep they are made of bacon foil, they do have poor quality wiring, and on some there is the strange problem of the clutch cable snapping, but they are seriously fast and stick to the road pretty good.

When he got rid of his second R5 GT Turbo he got the Fiat Uno Turbo, much the same, a little tin car with what felt like a jet engine in it. He would manually turn the boost up and down (from under the bonnet) when he wanted silly speed.

If you are looking for one, I hope you find a minter

my friend just bought one for 5k is 260 bhp 600kg,,,,,,,,,,, goes like a rocket and has a top end too (cant say how fast as legal is 70 ...but 145 :eek: )

very light car total rebuilt engine. hybrid turbo and is a nice looking standard car. TBH its a beast so so quick, only prob on these is the head gaskets.... :ffs:

my friend just bought one for 5k is 260 bhp 600kg,,,,,,,,,,, goes like a rocket and has a top end too (cant say how fast as legal is 70 ...but 145 :eek: )

very light car total rebuilt engine. hybrid turbo and is a nice looking standard car. TBH its a beast so so quick, only prob on these is the head gaskets.... :ffs:

but he has turbo runing on 22 psi which in weight ratio too will outrun a lot on the strip.

B)-->

QUOTE(Tom.B @ Feb 11 2007, 04:50 PM)

but he has turbo runing on 22 psi which in weight ratio too will outrun a lot on the strip.

So good that you had to say it twice eh Tom!! :lol:

ahhh the renault 5gt beautiful car when it isent in the garage being fixed, eletronics arent there strong point and the engines are bound to of had a very hard life and so will most probably blow up and need a rebuild like every gt ive ever worked on.

Shody build, shody electrics, over heating and headgaskets :D

you can go a lot faster then 145 for £5k ona car!!!

Renault 5 never liked them french rubbish.

find yourself a nissan cherry turbo same era,

great cars strong reliable engine dead quick,,,,shame they wouldnt turn corners :shutit: :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links