Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Your Isp Provider...

Fizz

Was thinking about Talk Talk who seemed to offer an outstanding deal for £21 per month for 8mb BB and national calls free 24/7.

I then heard some people say they have had bad experience with them.. and then today i read this..

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/cash/story/0,,2030947,00.html

No ta to talk talk me thinks... :unsure:

At the parents house I had Telewest installed back in 2001 with a 256 connection which has incremented to 8mb connection along with the times.

Now i admit its expensive at £25 per month but it has only ever failed (over 1 hours worth of downtime) on 3 separate occasions. The service is top notch and the connection has been fast all the time.

So do i stick with these lot in my new place or do I look elsewhere? What are people using who they are happy with?

Firstly, do you purposefully post your topics in the general chat then move them?

I'm with Virgin Media and have been with NTL before and, as you say, they offer pretty good reliability. However, I wouldn't be put off by a few customers with bad experiences at Talk Talk. We get TV as well as the rest so Talk Talk is not for us but if you are just going for broadband you might as well go for the cheapest?

Just remember that you may not get 8mb down your phoneline wheras with cable you are more likely to get the service you pay for (from my experience anyway).

To answer your first question.. YES.. :rolleyes:

Reason: the members asked for these other sub topic area's and they seem to be quite quiet still. I think people just skim over them.

Ive added a couple of threads and linked them over to the relevant section to get more traffic this way. :thumbsup:

Secondly, I do care for customer feedback as thats very important to me. (tell me after reading that article above that you would try talk talk now as a new potential customer!) I have actually found another option in Orange who provide a 8mb line along with free national and international calls included in the fixed price of £19.99 per month. B)

http://www.orange.co.uk/time/broadbandunlimited/

Just going to do some digging on the service and at the moment its up on top of my list followed by Nildram which also seems to be respected. :yes:

Havae you got sky fizz?

They are doing a good deal, 10 quid for whatever speed you can get from 8mb (eg if max you can get is 2mb you get 2, but if it gets upgraded to 8mb you can get 8) along with telephone deal.

Ends uo being like 23 quid for all channels (bar preuim) with free talk, and boradband

and i presume you then add the BT line charge on top of that making it £35 per month roughly... hmm...

Not got sky in to be honest and wasnt looking to get it but that sounds alright...

Choices Choices...

In my Broadband life I've been with BT (1 year), Nildram (2 years) and NTL (~4 years). By far the most stable, fast and customer friendly was Nildram. However they did charge a small premium for this excellent service. BT were the worst and NTL hold the middle ground. What I have found with NTL over the years is that there connection is stable and fast for incredibly long periods of time. However they always mess up their upgrades so when you get a speed upgrade you will invariably end up with 56k modem speeds for a while. And when there were problems they were incredibly hard to resolve but having said that, I probably average one headach every 14-18months with them so it's really not that bad. Maybe now that Virgin Media are the parent company, their service will improve and their prices will drop....

Also one of the differences between cable and adsl is that you don't need a phone line with cable so you aren't tied in to paying BT £11 (or whatever it is) a month if you don't want to.

I'm not sure how long you are going to be in the UK (as you want to move across the pond) so the fact that some companies offer a rolling month contract rather than keeping you locked into a 12month one may also be a deciding factor.

The move to Canada is due on the cards within the next 2 years i would have said but there is no set date.

Thanks for the input, i have heard bad stuff about NTL myself from numerous friends who have had it over the years.

Telewest have been excellent as i have said but its a bit pricey at £25 per month for 8mg line with no extra's like calls etc.

Also... for those who have read this topic... How many of you actually saw this thread within the general area and how many saw it first in the PC area? :P

Well I'd try not to compare NTL with Telewest any longer because all of their orders will now come from Virgin Media (essentially still NTL after a rebranding exercise).

I'm a big fan of cable speeds and stability myself but now that high speed internet is starting to turn up, we will be seeing mainstream SDSL connections in the home shortly and Cable simply can't compete with the potential synchronous speeds that we'll be seeing. Obviously I'm waffling now as you'll probably enjoying Canada before this happens. :!Removed!:

P.S. I saw it in Gen Disc first.

Of course I saw it in General first but that's because I navigate through general to the hobby section. I dont think their is need for it to be effectively posted twice though.

Of course I saw it in General first but that's because I navigate through general to the hobby section. I dont think their is need for it to be effectively posted twice though.

Bloomin heck lad.. its not posted twice.. it was to draw people accross to this side of the forum as its dead.

Not everyone goes into this side hence the reason for having a link in the main section. :wacko: It aint the end of the world so dont worry.

Moffomo i use the same function myself.. but not a lot do.

I really dont know why i bother sometimes.. banghead.gif

• 2 months later...

I'm now with Virgin Media - Just had it - Excellent installation service, although Broadband didn't work properly when they left! Friendly Customer Service Answered quickly and sorted it out.

With a 2mb Line I constantly get a steady 2mb - all day every day - every speed test I've done has returned 2mb. where as I used to have an 8mb ADSL line at the last house and that varied between 1mb and 6mb.

As has been said Cable seems more stable than ADSL.

I know people that have had the offers from talktalk, orange and sky - all three have had extremely bad reports

Ended up with the same connection Sotal.. :)

Its a cut down verson of my parents one... 2mb line which is supposed to be £18 per month but we are getting it for £9 per month as we have had our phone line with them for years.

Top service as per usual as its just a replacement for Telewest Cable..

sorry Gaz... maybe i shouldnt have said that we get it for £9... :P

haha nah is alright :P

i don't mind paying the money, the service is really good and hasn't gone down since before the change :D

Mines £20 for the 2MB broadband and the TV - nothing special as I'm a new customer but can't fault it what-so-ever

• 1 month later...
Was thinking about Talk Talk who seemed to offer an outstanding deal for £21 per month for 8mb BB and national calls free 24/7.

I then heard some people say they have had bad experience with them.. and then today i read this..

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/cash/story/0,,2030947,00.html

No ta to talk talk me thinks... :unsure:

At the parents house I had Telewest installed back in 2001 with a 256 connection which has incremented to 8mb connection along with the times.

Now i admit its expensive at £25 per month but it has only ever failed (over 1 hours worth of downtime) on 3 separate occasions. The service is top notch and the connection has been fast all the time.

So do i stick with these lot in my new place or do I look elsewhere? What are people using who they are happy with?

i am with talk talk over a year now sometimes a bit slow ,got connected with in a month ,bill has never been more than £23 a month very happy

im with virgin media on there top broadband which has just gone up to 20meg :yahoo: crazy fast! its good if you really download lots like i do. but at £37 pm some may find it a little high. but as i get my phone, tv and broadband from them all for £59 per month i dont mind. like they say on the adverts "if you can get cable, you should"

Virgin is no good if you are not in a cable area!

Which is a shame...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links