Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking To Buy My First Mr2

jonnydonut

hello I`m new, I`m want to get myself an mr2 but I`ve only really got a grand to play with and I have a few questions.

1. I sent an e-mail to turborevs and they said one of they`re £425 turbo kits plus an intercooler would work fine on an mr2 , will this just kill the engine? and if so how long would it take to die

2. Are there any good mods to get a rev 3 N/A mr2 up nearer the 200 hp mark? I`ve seen a few rev 3`s near my price range , theyre a fair drive away but I`m sure I`d enjoy it :D

3. This would be my first rear wheel drive and only my second car, will a turbo kill me!?

I`ve only been driving a year even tho I`m 27 now, started late, but my 1.6 concerto is starting to bore me to bits so any help you could give me would be much appreciated, cheers!

Hello and welcome to the club.

Buying a mr2 is easy my friend but finding a good one is hard. £1000 is not a lot of money and you will find a few ruff one's for that price. It would be better to have say £2000 to play with. Also adding on turbos on a car isn't always the best thing to do. There is a lot to consider.

Perhaps start off with a n/a and then a turbo one. The n/a are a beast on there own with many horror story's to scare you. Rear wheel fun mate :thumbsup: spinning out on bends :o Bearing in mind it's your first rear wheel car mid engine car.

Now the turbo car is a animal. Did you know they are nicked named the widow maker :o The tubby can be a handful in the wet and dry just like the n/a Checkout your insurance as a mr2 ain't cheap to insure. There are shed loads of performance mod's for both types of mr2.

Happy hunting buddy :thumbsup:

jerry!!

thanks for the advice matey, 2 grand would mean waiting a bit which I dont like but I`ll try. I can insure it quite cheap on admiral multicar , dads got 20+ no claims :thumbsup: . I`ll probably go for the N/A first, just as long as I can beat the spotty saxo brigade at the lights! I`m looking at this one http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_...200713277605942

wat u think?

thanks for the advice matey, 2 grand would mean waiting a bit which I dont like but I`ll try. I can insure it quite cheap on admiral multicar , dads got 20+ no claims :thumbsup: . I`ll probably go for the N/A first, just as long as I can beat the spotty saxo brigade at the lights!

wat u think?

Welcome to TOC

I think that you do not need an MR2 to beat the spotty Saxo Brigade at the lights......................................you can do that in a Yaris :lol:

The Yaris would be cheaper to insure in your own name and would allow you to build up your own no claims bonus :thumbsup:

A Yaris would also be more in your price range and cheaper to run.

You wont get much for a grand (not a Rev3 anyway) but it could be a good project.

I own an n/a and there is loads of pull over 3k revs, it still puts a smile on my face after 4 years.

MR2's are way too classy to race Saxo's off the lights.

Welcome to TOC

I think that you do not need an MR2 to beat the spotty Saxo Brigade at the lights......................................you can do that in a Yaris :lol:

The Yaris would be cheaper to insure in your own name and would allow you to build up your own no claims bonus :thumbsup:

A Yaris would also be more in your price range and cheaper to run.

I think my 92 honda bucket`s faster than a yaris ! But thanks anyway . I `ve got my heart set on an mr2. Seen a few rev 3`s on auto trader round the grand mark if it`s a project thats ok cos my mates a mechanic . wants to put a NOS kit on his old rover 416 tho so he might not be around too long :wacko:

the prices on autotrader seem to vary with absolutely no relevence to age, why I dont know but look at these links if you want

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_...200713277605942

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_...200716280179636

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_...200714278720499

the bottom ones a rev1 and its the most expensive

Guest MrMojo

Bottom one is a Mk1 m8 not a Rev1. but holy cow rev 3's for £1k, hehehehe i'll give you £15 n half a mars bar for urs jappy but only if you change the paint first !!!!! :P :P :P :lol:

Mo.

they seem to go from about 700 to 2/3 grand whatever whatever mk1 mk2 rev 1/2/3. dont really know how to pick one but I`d prefer the rev 3, more power :D BTW anyone know if an mr2 would beat my mates golf vr6 ?

You can get a rev3 n/a upto 200bhp with the likes of an exhaust, filter and a unichip.

The n/a is much more easier to control compared with the turbo. The turbo can bite you in the bum on a corner, where the n/a is predictable power.

they seem to go from about 700 to 2/3 grand whatever whatever mk1 mk2 rev 1/2/3. dont really know how to pick one but I`d prefer the rev 3, more power :D BTW anyone know if an mr2 would beat my mates golf vr6 ?

More power yes but also more weight!

The turbo can bite you in the bum on a corner, where the n/a is predictable power.

too true but when the corners just right in the turbo ... they nibble ever so sweetly :P

What is the 0-60 comparisons for a rev1 to a rev3 anyway?

I think I read somewhere that the rev 1 is faster to 60 but slower top speed, what about the rev 2 up to 60?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links