Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A/c In Corolla '02

Zbynio

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I name something not properly, my English is not very good, but I'll do my best to be as clear as posible here.

I drive a Corolla '02 1.6 Linea Sol, 5dr. It comes with an 'automatic' air-conditioning system.

Point is, the above mentioned system works somewhat weird:

1) Yesterday I got in, checked the temp.outside, which was +30 C at the moment,

2) I pressed 'auto' button (and nothing else, only that ONE button),

3) I set the temp.inside at + 21 C

4) And guess what ? The A/C does not start at all, the green light near the A/C button does not appear at all ! It's hot as hell inside and I have to turn the A/C by myself. In this case, I can see a green light near both A/C and AUTO buttons.

What is going on ? I thought that an 'automatic' air-conditioning system should turn the A/C by itself in such conditions - I repeat once again: +30 C outside and + 21 C that I set inside.

My dealer told me this is normal in all Toyota cars. Is it ? That would be a pity. My friend drives a new Peugeot 307 (XT Premium I quess), also with an 'automatic' air-conditioning system. I performed a similar test in his car:

1) I got in, checked the temp.outside, which was +29 C at the moment

2) I pressed 'auto' button (and nothing else, only that ONE button)

4) The A/C symbol on the LCD display appeared immediately and as a proof a nice cold air begun to blow about 3-4 secinds right after that. That happened automatically! What's more - the so-called 're-circulation' turned on to help cool hot air inside more quickly. It turned off after about 20-25 seconds, but the A/C symbol on the LCD display remained active !

That's how things should be, don't you think ? I observed exactly the same situation in a VW Golf IV with so-called Climatronic and new Renault Megane II, also with an 'automatic' air-conditioning system.

The conclusion is strange. It appears that in above comparison (Peugeot 307, Golf IV and Megane II) it all works fine - just press 'auto' button, set your desired temp.and drive, whereas in Corolla the system looks more like a 'half-auto' or 'semi-auto' to my knowledge, forcing the driver to decide for himself whether or not and when he/she should turn A/C on or off to achieve desired temperature inside That reminds me of a conventional 'manual' A/C, which is inferior to 'auto' systems. And as far as I remember I payed for 'auto'... still it looks as if it's not what I payed for...

I know all hatch Corollas are made in the UK, but I doubt that they install 'different' type of A/C system for cars exported to us in Poland - we have four seasons just like in the UK, autumn is rainy and winter snowy with temp.as low as -15 C, average temp.in the spring is over +10 C and up to +30 C during the summer with rather high humidity levels.

Is there something our dealers here are not telling us customers about ? Or maybe this really is normal in all Toyota cars ? What do you think about it ?

Hi & welcome to TOC.

Your "auto" A/C only controls blower speed, dependant on interior temp setting. For example, if temp in car is 30c & you set temp to 20c, then blower will set on full speed until it reaches 20c.

If your A/C button is not turned on, then blower will stay on full speed as the interior of the car is not reaching 20c.

I prefer it this way as you do not need the A/C on all the time as it affects your fuel consumption.

I tend to switch onto manual ( with A/C ) initially until it's cool in the car, then switch to Auto to maintain a comfortable temp.

Alternatively, you could just leave you A/C button "ON" & sacrifice fuel economy.

B)

So you agree with my opinion that it is NOT a full-auto system like for example in VW's Climatronic ?

That would be a pity, I think... :crybaby:

Personally I think they should change it.

.......Your "auto" A/C only controls blower speed, dependant on interior temp setting. ....

It controls also where the air will blow,and yes you must press A/C button to activate aircondition.

No it is not automatic!

It's best that way. You can control your A/C, therefore your fuel consumption.

Hi! I'm new to this forum also and my english is also far from perfect, but I guess it's understandable (is there such word? :) )

If I have understood correctly, the A/C is fully automatic if it's switched on (so it isn't really always on, even if the light is) and if you switch it off, then it just tries to keep the temperature steady without using A/C.

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if I name something not properly, my English is not very good, but I'll do my best to be as clear as posible here.

I drive a Corolla '02 1.6 Linea Sol, 5dr. It comes with an 'automatic' air-conditioning system.

Point is, the above mentioned system works somewhat weird:

1) Yesterday I got in, checked the temp.outside, which was +30 C at the moment,

2) I pressed 'auto' button (and nothing else, only that ONE button),

4) And guess what ? The A/C does not start at all, the green light near the A/C button does not appear at all ! It's hot as hell inside and I have to turn the A/C by myself. In this case, I can see a green light near both A/C and AUTO buttons.

What is going on ? I thought that an 'automatic' air-conditioning system should turn the A/C by itself in such conditions - I repeat once again: +30 C outside and + 21 C that I set inside.

My dealer told me this is normal in all Toyota cars. Is it ? That would be a pity. My friend drives a new Peugeot 307 (XT Premium I quess), also with an 'automatic' air-conditioning system. I performed a similar test in his car:

1) I got in, checked the temp.outside, which was +29 C at the moment

2) I pressed 'auto' button (and nothing else, only that ONE button)

4) The A/C symbol on the LCD display appeared immediately and as a proof a nice cold air begun to blow about 3-4 secinds right after that. That happened automatically! What's more - the so-called 're-circulation' turned on to help cool hot air inside more quickly. It turned off after about 20-25 seconds, but the A/C symbol on the LCD display remained active !

That's how things should be, don't you think ? I observed exactly the same situation in a VW Golf IV with so-called Climatronic and new Renault Megane II, also with an 'automatic' air-conditioning system.

The conclusion is strange. It appears that in above comparison (Peugeot 307, Golf IV and Megane II) it all works fine - just press 'auto' button, set your desired temp.and drive, whereas in Corolla the system looks more like a 'half-auto' or 'semi-auto' to my knowledge, forcing the driver to decide for himself whether or not and when he/she should turn A/C on or off to achieve desired temperature inside That reminds me of a conventional 'manual' A/C, which is inferior to 'auto' systems. And as far as I remember I payed for 'auto'... still it looks as if it's not what I payed for...

I know all hatch Corollas are made in the UK, but I doubt that they install 'different' type of A/C system for cars exported to us in Poland - we have four seasons just like in the UK, autumn is rainy and winter snowy with temp.as low as -15 C, average temp.in the spring is over +10 C and up to +30 C during the summer with rather high humidity levels.

Is there something our dealers here are not telling us customers about ? Or maybe this really is normal in all Toyota cars ? What do you think about it ?

You can console yourself in the fact that your English is not as bad as you think it is :D

No it is not automatic!

Not automatic ??? :o

Still, all dealers call it automatic. All leaflets, official info etc. also call it automatic.

But it is not manual either. In that case, we customers are being manipulated don't you think ?

No it is not automatic!

Not automatic ??? :o

Still, all dealers call it automatic. All leaflets, official info etc. also call it automatic.

But it is not manual either. In that case, we customers are being manipulated don't you think ?

I think it just depends on your individual definition of the word 'Automatic'

• 2 months later...

Just a thought.

When it is cold and I get in my Corolla and have the temp up high-ish (about 23c) then the auto a/c will not work for the first few minutes. I presume so as not to pump in cold air. When the heating is warm it starts up automatically.

Could this be happening with the hot weather-rather than pump in hot air, wait till the engine is running and ready to pump cold air, then switch on?

How long do you leave your aircon on before switching to manual?

Is the sensor on the dash covered up/in the shade?

Have you tried hoovering the sensor near the drivers knee in case it is dusty and giving false readings to the a/c unit?

Just thoughts!

It is automatic. The fact is that when Zbyno pressed the auto button, and then turned the temp down, it cancelled the auto function. The point of the auto function is to get the car to the temperature the user wants as quickly as possible. That is why when it is a 30 degree day and u put it on cold it blasts out at full blower. Once the temp in the car drops the fan speed will drop and maintain the speed. This is the meaning of automatic isnt it? I think it is.

Therefore when you get into your car, set it to what ever temp then press auto and let it do the job.

Personally i dont like it on full blower right in your face. Just set it to what you like u slack asses :P :P :P :P pfft auto lol

And also dealers dont call it automatic. They call it climate control which is technically correct cos it does control the temp of your car to what ever you set it to. In the case of a manual temp select it always pumps out the temp you select, whereas in this Climate control version the temp of the air changes along with fan speed to keep the temp right.

Cheers guys

AzZa

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links