Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Purchasing A Car

yazburner

hey everyone, i hope someone knows the answer or can shed some light on this because i dont have a clue.

in a couple of days im travelling up to manchester to view a nice little yaris t sport im planning on buying.

Im just wondering, if i go view it, buy it, pay the guy cash and sign the car into my name, how do i drive it home legally, and be insured? will an insurance company provide a sort of travel insurance thing so i can transport it home, then i can begin a full insurance policy?

Id also prefer to put the car in my moms name(for cheaper insurance), so will she need to be there with me when i purchase it?

and sort of help would be useful cus ive never brought a car in my life.

:thumbsup:

When I went to look at the MR2 I now own, I jumped on a train to Sheffield, the bloke picked me up from the station, we went for a 30 min drive, looked round the car and bought it.

Then I rang my dad who then rang an insurance company to get it insured there and then, when my dad rang back to confirm the insurance was on I drove it back.

I would suggest looking at the car yourself and if you are going to buy it, get your mum to open a policy over the phone with you as a named driver.

All you need is the numberplate and if it has a CAT 2 alarm/immob.

Hope this helps and happy shopping!

so i can buy the car, then sit in it, fone the insurance company, get insured and drive it home 10 minutes later??

Essentially yes...

If its going to be under your mums name as a secondary driver then she will need to ring up.

They start the insurance from the minute it goes into force.. :)

If you are going to be the main driver of the car then the insurance will need to be in your own name rather than your mums.

If you are going to be the main driver of the car then the insurance will need to be in your own name rather than your mums.

I think he wants to be the names driver and not the main one!

Let us know how you get on!

i will be the main driver, but the insurance compan dont need to know that ;-)

if i do crash it ill just say it was the first time id drove it in months, and i was just on the way to pick my mom up, whos ill so cant drive, or sum blag story :-P

just got quotes off a comparison site of around £650, so if i find them up and tell them ive been driving for 11 and 1/2 months i should get it for about £500

bargain :-)

if i do crash it ill just say it was the first time id drove it in months, and i was just on the way to pick my mom up, whos ill so cant drive, or sum blag story :-P

just got quotes off a comparison site of around £650, so if i find them up and tell them ive been driving for 11 and 1/2 months i should get it for about £500

I was a named driver for years, problem was I didnt generate any no claims, dont feel you have to make up a story, its your right to use that car as much as you want as you are on the insurance wether you are the policy holder or not.

Sorry to dissapoint you , but if you ARE the main driver, you must tell the insurance company, because what you are doing is known as skimming, (WHICH IS ILLEGAL)

Insurance companies are not stupid and in the event of a claim if you are just a named driver but they find out that you are the main driver (AND THEY WILL.............do not underestimate them..............You have after all posted what you intend to do on this public forum :rolleyes: ), the insurance will be null and void.

Best advice is to take out the insurance in your own name with your mum as a named driver. That way you will start to build up a no claims bonus in your own right and naming your mum might just lower the premium a bit.

Please do not try to deceive insurance companies because it is people who try to do that, cause everybody elses insurance premiums to rise.

This advice is not meant as a personal attack, but mearly to try to save you an awful lot of grief if you ever have to claim...........which, of course, we all hope that you never have to :thumbsup:

Sorry to dissapoint you , but if you ARE the main driver, you must tell the insurance company, because what you are doing is known as skimming, (WHICH IS ILLEGAL)

Insurance companies are not stupid and in the event of a claim if you are just a named driver but they find out that you are the main driver (AND THEY WILL.............do not underestimate them..............You have after all posted what you intend to do on this public forum :rolleyes: ), the insurance will be null and void.

Best advice is to take out the insurance in your own name with your mum as a named driver. That way you will start to build up a no claims bonus in your own right and naming your mum might just lower the premium a bit.

Please do not try to deceive insurance companies because it is people who try to do that, cause everybody elses insurance premiums to rise.

This advice is not meant as a personal attack, but mearly to try to save you an awful lot of grief if you ever have to claim...........which, of course, we all hope that you never have to :thumbsup:

I disagree, its uninsured drivers that make premiums go up.

Until you get to 21 insurance is stupid money, whether you have a no claims bonus or not.

I disagree, its uninsured drivers that make premiums go up.

Until you get to 21 insurance is stupid money, whether you have a no claims bonus or not.

Precisely my point:

He will, effectively, be uninsured if he falsely declares himself as a "NAMED" driver when he is actually the main driver.

when I was younger I was on my dad's insurance. I was the main driver approx 99 percent of the time. We just phoned the insurance (CIS at the time) and they made the policy so it was in my dads name but with me as the main driver. from memory it was about 70 quid more than if I'd lied like you are suggesting. so maybe that is a possibility. - just phone and tell the truth they will try and help

yea i mean its not like im going to be the only one driving it, me and my mom share the use of the car about 50/50, so ill check to see what they could do for us, but if its a rip off i will just go named driver - infrequent user

Do not be tempted to take out an insurance policy in your mothers name and having you named on it.

In the insurance industry this is known as fronting and mis-represents the risk on the policy.

It is also tantamount to insurance fraud. Additionally, if you ever need to make a claim and you are not specified as the main risk on the insurance policy, then the claim is liable for rejection by the insurance company.

If you have an accident your mom's no claims bonus will be at risk.

You won't start qualifying yourself for a no claims discount until you have insurance in your name, so in the long run this could actually cost more by delaying the start of your own no claims discount.

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought mine from Blackburn, I viewed it one saturday, said I'd have it (gave them a cheque and such and such) then picked it up the following saturday after getting insuring it during the weekk so it was ready to go Saturday. It was 250 miles each way, but I would prefer that and make sure I have everything sorted properly for my journey home.

If your a named driver, you CAN drive the car as much as you want!!! How would you ever prove that a named driver was driving more than the policy holder???? Insurance companies dont lose money through people like yourself, more idiots with no insurance!

My ten pence worth here!!

there are a few places now that are doing named drivers NCB aswell, people like direct line and admiral!..

if you go getting a quote off of them put yourself down as the named driver and your dad as the main driver and you will still reap the benefits of NCB..

I cant see anything wrong with being the "named" driver but atually being the "main" driver. here are thousands of people doing in this country under the age of 21 as they just cant get any insurance for themselves and the insuranc companies still let them have the policy, they aint stupid!!!

red yaris - can you explain how your insurance has gone up through named drivers driving a vehicle more than the policy holder????

Is it also illegal to name a driver on your policy to get a discount, when you know that that person will never drive the car??

Is it also illegal to name a driver on your policy to get a discount, when you know that that person will never drive the car??

not really, just because theyre ever going to drive the car, theres always a possiblity of something happening and them needing to drive it. they cant void your insurance just because theyve never drove it.

if they live the other end of the country they may say something, but it not against the rules.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links