Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wet Weather Help!

jonquigley

Hi Guys.

My 1991 mk2 GT wont start after a downpour. Ive changed plugs and thown enuf WD40 at it to kill whats left of the ozone layer. Ive even fashioned a cover which I have securred over the K&N intake as I thought it may be getting in thru there. Seemed to work ok for a couple of weeks , but happened again yeasterday morning. I dont think the slats on the engine bay cover were designed to keep out the Manchester weather, but I'm tearing my hair out!!

Worked ok after a downpour today, only to start coughing, spluttering and dying after a 10 minute blast down the motorway....a very wet motorway with a lot of standing water. She went fine until I left the M/way and dropped to urban speeds. Had to rev the t*ts of it at lights and junctions to stop her dying. Nursed her home and have now put a bin bag over the engine cover in an attempt to stop her letting me down in the morning.

Any advice fellas?? I am at my wits end. Thanks in advance.

Are you sure its the water doing this? Not really heard anything like this before, my engine lid directs the water one way. Has your fuse box got a lid on it?

Are you sure its the water doing this? Not really heard anything like this before, my engine lid directs the water one way. Has your fuse box got a lid on it?

Hi Jappy

Only happens after a load of rain.....too much coincidence to be anything else. Fuse box is fine. Local mechanic looked at it several times but apart from changing plugs he is as confused as me. Cant afford to go to Mr T.

Thanx

just a random guess..... but maybe ur airfilter is getting water into it, maybe the surrounding box is craked or something.

Did you check the plug leads and distributor cap when you changed the plugs? Leads with damaged / split insulation or a cracked dizzy cap would give you trouble in the wet but I'd have thought a mechanic would check those things first ;)

Did you check the plug leads and distributor cap when you changed the plugs? Leads with damaged / split insulation or a cracked dizzy cap would give you trouble in the wet but I'd have thought a mechanic would check those things first ;)

New leads, dizzy cap and rotor ordered for tomorrow. No apparent damage or deterioration to existing ones but as its now a process of elimination, these are the cheapest bits to replace. Will keep you updated. Thanks for the input guys.

I was gonna say the same. Replace the leads, dizzy and rotor arm.

I had this problem in heavy rain with my mr2. The car would start to cough and splutter and die.

Me and my sister have this problem and its when the wet gets into the dizzy cap etc and its all damp.. Just have to put a cover over the engine now to stop rain leaking in and works a treat.. car starts on the button

also my sister got all the dizzy cap spark leads and rotar arm changed and this didnt cure it.. just simply dont liek a heavy downful

cheers andy

have you tried,theres 3 things i would do,nos1 thing is check yer anti freeze level cos it can get real cold,nos2 make sure you carry a flask of hot coffee cos if you break down itl keep you warm,nos3 get it scrapped n buy a bus pass. hope this info is of help to you

have you tried,theres 3 things i would do,nos1 thing is check yer anti freeze level cos it can get real cold,nos2 make sure you carry a flask of hot coffee cos if you break down itl keep you warm,nos3 get it scrapped n buy a bus pass. hope this info is of help to you

Scrapping an MR2?

I don't think so.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links