Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prospective Owner Needing Advice!

gazza1286

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I'm hoping to take delivery of a new (to me) MR2 MKII and would welcome some advice.

It's a 1996 GT Sports Coupe (N/A) with 68K on the clock - N reg. It is a UK car and totally un-modified. The timing belt was apparently changed at 58K.

I've driven Toyotas for many years and have always carried out my own maintainence and repairs. I usually use HAYNES manuals as a reference.

Can you tell me which publications are available on the market for my vehicle. If they are only available through Toyota GB, which manual would be the best to get. (I know from owning a Carina II a few years back that the Manuals came in 4 volumes and only one covered the engine and genearal stuff).

Which 2lt engine is fitted? Is it the 3S (same as the Carina E?) What work or faults develop with mileage around this?

Also - do these vehicle come with Transponder Keys? I have a M reg carina E (non- transponder) and a W reg Avensis (transponder)

Is there anything that I should be looking for - ideally something minor which I can use to drive the price down with the dealer. They are asking £3900 which I think is a touch on the high side.

Many thanks

Hi,

Do you know the reg number as that sounds like mine which I traded in at the beginning of March. £3900 sounds very expensive, i'd want a Rev4 on a R plate for that.

Cheers, Jenny

Gazza, thats a deffo pricey car to be had mate.

Also with regards to a haynes manual, there isn't one!!! I looked all over for one when i have my MR2 turbo... unless there is one for the NA.. hmm.

Halfords is your best bet with trying to find one.

With regards to finding a car i would seriously suggest giving Rash a call as he goes through loads of uk NA's at very reasonable rates.

Click on his name in my signature and give him your requirements and im sure he will find you something suitable.

Tell him i sent ya! :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I'm hoping to take delivery of a new (to me) MR2 MKII and would welcome some advice.

It's a 1996 GT Sports Coupe (N/A) with 68K on the clock - N reg. It is a UK car and totally un-modified. The timing belt was apparently changed at 58K.

I've driven Toyotas for many years and have always carried out my own maintainence and repairs. I usually use HAYNES manuals as a reference.

Can you tell me which publications are available on the market for my vehicle. If they are only available through Toyota GB, which manual would be the best to get. (I know from owning a Carina II a few years back that the Manuals came in 4 volumes and only one covered the engine and genearal stuff).

Which 2lt engine is fitted? Is it the 3S (same as the Carina E?) What work or faults develop with mileage around this?

Also - do these vehicle come with Transponder Keys? I have a M reg carina E (non- transponder) and a W reg Avensis (transponder)

Is there anything that I should be looking for - ideally something minor which I can use to drive the price down with the dealer. They are asking £3900 which I think is a touch on the high side.

Many thanks

It's a 3S-GE, this was also fitted to the Carina E GTi.

Toyota repair manuals can be had from here:

http://www.flashmetal.com/index.asp?functi...AT&catid=15

The same information can be found here in electronic format:

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb.htm

But they do not cover the 3S-GE. The Haynes manual for the Carina E does cover the 3S-GE though.

Sell it, buy mine. ;)

Sell it, buy mine. ;)

ohh god no... dont you dare be going for the GTR....wait a min.. just dont you dare sell up mate!!!! :unsure:

Dont worry.. I#ll be having words with you at JAE! :thumbsup:

Hi,

Do you know the reg number as that sounds like mine which I traded in at the beginning of March. £3900 sounds very expensive, i'd want a Rev4 on a R plate for that.

Cheers, Jenny

I think thats a bit optimistic for a price from a dealer. I was recently offered £3750 as the trade-in value for my R reg Rev 4 so presumably the dealer thought they would be able to sell it on for quite a bit more than that.

ohh god no... dont you dare be going for the GTR....wait a min.. just dont you dare sell up mate!!!! :unsure:

Dont worry.. I#ll be having words with you at JAE! :thumbsup:

:)

It has to go Fizz. Time for something different. Skyline, 350Z, Lancer Evo VIII or S2000 I think... really don't know what, which is why it's stayed so long! I do love my car. Makes me smile every time I drive it still!

Just got another set of wheels for it! Four sets now. Doh!

Buddy Club Racing P1 QF... 16" x 7J front, 16" x 8J rear.

BuddyclubpIQF.jpg

I'll probably still have it at JAE... either way I'll be sure to hooking up with you bud.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Kev... your going to break my heart man i love that car!

Progression is progression though.. you have had it !Removed! ages. If you do go down the S2K route then get speaking to Bibbs.. he is running circa 350bhp+ in his now after adding a couple of stickers and a spoiler etc :lol:

And yes.. will deffo hook up at JAE mate... as usuall...

Guest MrMojo

No way Kev!!!,,

Yours is one of the finest examples i've seen...D'oh but we all have to move on at some point,,

Fizz..........you know it makes sense..get ur hand in ur pocket and do the right thing hehe.... :P

Mo.

As much as it makes sense... I now have a house etc... saving times for me... Going to save for another property infact i hope.

Going into partnership with a couple of good mates and buy another place to rent out if all goes to plan. The Fizzy empire is about to start! :thumbsup:

I can still get my kicks through yourself and Rash in the meantime.. Might even drive your cars as well.. :lol:

No way Kev!!!,,

Yours is one of the finest examples i've seen...D'oh but we all have to move on at some point,,

Fizz..........you know it makes sense..get ur hand in ur pocket and do the right thing hehe.... :P

Mo.

Afraid so Mo... like you say we all have to move on at some point. I've had it 7 and a half years now.

See you at JAE buddy.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links