Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need Advice...

Demonic Angel

Been looking for a cheap AW11 for some time - and ones just popped up on eBay!

The thing is, when I say cheap, its CHEAP.... and it needs a fair amount of work doing which I'm not sure I have the capability to do on my own.... plus space is a bit of an issue right now (although the Yaris can be parked on the road if needs be)

For £100 though.... it seems a bit of a bargain and is more or less exactly the car I've been looking for.....

Thoughts on this?

It's not a T-Bar but I'm willing to let that slide (can't be too picky now can I?)

I'm really tempted to bid on it... just not quite sure about it, I wanted one that was in a bit better nick... is it worth taking the chance on it or should I wait for something a bit better?

It does need a bit of work. Just depends if you're gonne do it yourself, if you have the time and skills. OR are you willing to Shell out the money for a garage to sort it?

Thats the thing... I'd like to do it myself.... but I'm lacking in the knowledge - Dad would help out I'm sure but it'd be a big project.... really massive for a novice like me... :blink:

But how long have I wanted a Mk1 MR2 in Helios Blue? Answer: for ages!! lol

I did want one that was in better condition though admittedly, with at least a radio and working windows!

Can anyone guestimate how much it'd cost me to get the car sorted if I were to buy it?

Depends what facilities you have for repairing, like jimlad says, doing it yourself saves loads but if you were to outsource the repairs on that particular one it would cost more than it was worth :yes:

if you were to outsource the repairs on that particular one it would cost more than it was worth :yes:

That's the problem with these sorts of cars, even very good condition ones aren't worth a huge amount. I think you'd be better off saving and buying one already in decent nick, it'll cost more to put a ropey one right.

Could look at importing one too as they tend to be in better condition than UK cars, no idea what sort of money they're making in Japan though.

Buy it, spend no time or money on it, abuse it with your driving until you kill it, scrap it.

For that money you can't go wrong

Buy it, spend no time or money on it, abuse it with your driving until you kill it, scrap it.

For that money you can't go wrong

Thats the problem, for £100 I probably would, but its got no MOT and wont pass until stuff is done on it - no MOT plus no tax means no can do ragging it about the mean streets of Rugby until it dies!

I'm gonna think about it some more.... I mean its a 10 day auction - I'll see what the price is towards the end....

Other than that, the search continues! :thumbsup:

its got no MOT

Damn, didn't notice that bit, thought you might have been able to get a few months out of it before it died completely. Never mind though, it's probably best to listen to Dave & spend a few quid on 1 that's already in decent condition then

It could go for upto £500 in its final minutes of the bid!

I love the idea of a project but do you have the time for it?

I'm starting to love Mk1 Mr2's.

It could go for upto £500 in its final minutes of the bid!

I love the idea of a project but do you have the time for it?

I'm starting to love Mk1 Mr2's.

lol thats the thing, I have all the time in the world and nothing else to keep me entertained! The thing is, do I really need that big of a project? :lol:

Mk1 MR2's do indeed rock - although I'm kinda put off that its not a T-Bar..... I really wanted a T-Bar.

Unless you can get it for around the £200.00 don't bother. It will cost you a fortune a bit to get it right.

As the car has no MOT (it needs around another £200 - 300 just to get it through), you will also need to arrange towing it (on a trailer or flatbed (A-Frames are not legal for long distances anymore)

The original car would have been known as a Helios Blue, but it sounds like they bodged the bottom half & repainted the dark grey (probably with a tin or two of Halfords spray paint as they mention it's messy) to tidy or hide further rust issues.

Helios Blue cars are not that rare, they come up for sale from time to time.

I am also concerned why it's needed fuses and still has rear light issues... Electrical gremlins are not common on the MK1, but when one has them - avoid ;)

I think you'll be waisting time on this one - it's probably only good to break.

To give you an idea - I bought my red MK1 for £250.00 and to date I have spent over £1000.00 trying to get it right. It started as a restoration, but when I found aftermarket parts cheaper than OEM, It became a track nail. I have done most of the work myself (to keep costs down) and still need to sort out the rust on the rear arches.

If you want a MK1, check out/keep an eye on the following:

MK1 Club For Sale:

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/forsale.html

MK1 Club Forum:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewforum.php...baa400f36c353f2

If you do decide on a car and buy one that needs bit & pieces doing to it, there are a fair few of us nearby and can help out. We have regular "bearding parties" where a group of us get together to do major works followed by BBQ & drinks etc... B) Just had a few of these parties in Bishops Itchington (Warks, down the road from you) where we dropped, rebuilt and re-installed a heavily modified Supercharger engine B)

Any other questions just ask away :thumbsup:

Earl is selling a lovely mk1 mica blue one for £600... which has been reduced a lot.

I was so so close to getting it but alas he is way too far for me to travel.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68226

He is as honest as they come and if i was closer i would have it in an instant! :(

Earl is selling a lovely mk1 mica blue one for £600... which has been reduced a lot.

He is as honest as they come and if i was closer i would have it in an instant! :(

There you go Em :thumbsup:

The welding in that area isn't too bad either £80.00 should sort it no probs, plus then the MOT. Jobs a good-un B)

although I'm kinda put off that its not a T-Bar..... I really wanted a T-Bar.

All T-Bar's leak. Any "real" fix is only short term and could cost a fortune. a mate over on IMOC spent over £300 "curing" his leaky T-Bars to find in two weeks they were leaking again. He replaced everything new (eccentric guides/rods, seals and trims etc... to no avail :( )

They're also heavier than sunroof (moonroof) models :thumbsup:

There you go Em :thumbsup:

The welding in that area isn't too bad either £80.00 should sort it no probs, plus then the MOT. Jobs a good-un B)

I believe the top mounts also need to be replaced but he said he had ordered them and they had just arrived as well.

Really does look in good nick.

Saving money and getting a "cheap" base for a project usually ends up costing much more in the long run!

It is a nice car indeed.... I didnt want Mica Blue though - I already have a dark blue car, I really wanted the Helios Blue....

But hmmm definitely worth some consideration for the price and condition....

Think I need to go away and mull it over.... :huh:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links