Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Possible Boost Probs- Your Advice Needed

GnzYza

Hi, i have just recently purchased a rev 3 turbo, in standard form. at idle and under 3k revs the boost gauge is a 0 or bottom. and when boost does come in the needles will only go to half. this doesn't seem normal. i know the turbo is in good nick.

probs which could cause this is, it has a blitz bov, and something called greddy ptotec, its a silver box with pipes coming from it. looks like a boost control?

the car otherwise is totally standard, is it poss the boost if set on low, if this device allows it would cause the boost gauge to only half fill.

Any further info needed to help me just shout.

And many thanks in advance.

IM officially a tubby owner- FINALLY :yahoo:

Firstly congratulations on the purchase.. very wise move... :thumbsup:

Right.. a few things..

Are you running Optimax or similar?

Do you have an after market boost gauge?

If so then what psi is it showing? 7.5Psi?

Its possible that the ECU is stuck in safty mode which limits the boost. To reset this, you have a fuse box both in the engine compartment on the passenger side and another one under the bonnet again on the passenger side of the car.

There are 2 fuses you need to remove.. ECU and EFI.. Once this is done.. leave them out for a minute or so. Replace them back where they came out of and then start the car. What this should do is reset the safty mode (if it is that) and then it will adjust the fuel/air mixture again while your driving. Ensure the engine is at full operating temp before giving it a blast.

Try that first and if that dont work then you need to check the engine for error codes..

Firstly congratulations on the purchase.. very wise move... :thumbsup:

Right.. a few things..

Are you running Optimax or similar?

Do you have an after market boost gauge?

If so then what psi is it showing? 7.5Psi?

Its possible that the ECU is stuck in safty mode which limits the boost. To reset this, you have a fuse box both in the engine compartment on the passenger side and another one under the bonnet again on the passenger side of the car.

There are 2 fuses you need to remove.. ECU and EFI.. Once this is done.. leave them out for a minute or so. Replace them back where they came out of and then start the car. What this should do is reset the safty mode (if it is that) and then it will adjust the fuel/air mixture again while your driving. Ensure the engine is at full operating temp before giving it a blast.

Try that first and if that dont work then you need to check the engine for error codes..

Cheers buddy and thanx fo ur reply.

Currently the car is running on esso supreme, but will be going onto v power.

that boost gauge is standard, not sure what boost its running at if standard or not???

but i will try the fuses and then move onto fault codes.

Will post a update.......... :thumbsup:

Ahh.. so if you only have the standard boost gauge in it. Its !Removed! for lack of a better expression! :lol: Its like an on/off switch sometimes in the older cars.

Get an aftermarket one added to make sure if you indeed have a problem or whether its just down to the faulty gauge. :)

standard full boost from 3rd gear onwards is around the 13psi mark.

Ahh.. so if you only have the standard boost gauge in it. Its !Removed! for lack of a better expression! :lol: Its like an on/off switch sometimes in the older cars.

Get an aftermarket one added to make sure if you indeed have a problem or whether its just down to the faulty gauge. :)

standard full boost from 3rd gear onwards is around the 13psi mark.

thats what its like on/off and when flooring in 2/3 it reaches about 4k and then flicks to about half way.

what gauge is best you think.

i pulled the fuses, and checked for fault codes, non shown.

i believe the gauge may be faulty but that wouldn't affect the performance would it? is it not just a indication of boost.

Also i have this small silver box with greddy profec written on it in the engine, and 3 small houses. i know its aftermarket, but dont know what it does. is it a wastegate or boost valve- any ideas??

the car does go, but just doesn't seem like 240 or so horses

Sorry- im new to the turbo world. :unsure:

It seems the profec is a boost controller...

Check this out... <a href="http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0207scc_greddy_profec_a_boost_controller/" target="_blank">

</a>http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/020...ost_controller/

Any manual gauge will do fine.. they are all pretty accurate... :)

This might help as well...

Another linky.. press here!

All thanks and credit goes to Andy my best buddy in the world... :lol:

Hi mate...

You could have a boost leak, or possibly a duff actuator?

The profec is a boost controller. It's possible this is set up wrong? I wouldn't fiddle with it though, unless you know what you're doing.

The stock boost gauge should go off the scale if working properly when on full boost.

Cheers guys for your advice, im going to put it thru a service and then got it booked into a tuner who's gana put it on the dyno to check it out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links