Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Srvice Items Rev 3 Turbo

GnzYza

Hello everyone.

Just getting all bits together for a service and was wondering which plugs to use, the car is not modded but will want to slightly tune in the future. so looking for a plug that will be good on stock and handle a little more.

Got a quote for Ht leads from mr T- £103 :eek:

heres my service to do list.

oil and filter

air filter

fuel filter

plugs and leads

diff oil change with MT90???

anything else you can add.

its had a belt change

Why change the leads? I've run 3 Toyotas from virtually new to over 100K mile each. All were on their original set of leads. I can't understand why I read so often on forums that people want to waste cash on swapping these. They either work or they don't. They do not deteriorate with age. There is no Toyota service scedule which recommends changing these after so many miles or so many years etc.

Similarly, people seem to always want to change the distributor cap and rotor arm. Again I have never changed one of these on a Toyota in 20 years during a service. I've also never had one fail or requiring changing for any reason. Again there is no mention of changing these on a Toyota Service Schedule.

The plugs recommended in the owners manual (platinum) are good for 63K miles. The gear oil I would recommended is 75W90. Good for 40K.

What about coolant? Has that been changed recently? There is good reason to swap this as it acts as a lubricant for the water pump. As the miles clock up on these engines the pump will begin fail around 100K. The job is more expensive than the timing belt that's for sure. Remember, even the original 'FOR LIFE' red stuff is not literally for life. This only lasts about 5 years or so. (then again I've had it in one of my cars for much long than this).

Gazza... The MR2's aint your everyday car and get a lot more abuse than your everyday Toyota.

The distributor cap and rotor arm are common to start causing issues on the older tubbies in my experience and from what i have seen over the years on the MR2 forums.

Same engine as Carina E and Avensis? However I accept what you say but unless it causes trouble - does it need changing as a matter of course?

Same engine as Carina E and Avensis? However I accept what you say but unless it causes trouble - does it need changing as a matter of course?

Im referring to the 3S-GTE 220bhp for the revision 1/2 MR2 and 245bhp for the revision 3 onwards engine. These have a twin entry turbo on it.

The Carina Engine is the same as the NA version i believe... 3SGE. 170bhp.

Now when you get issues with lack of boost etc its common practice to replace the rotor arms and dizzy cap because sometimes this is the cause of the boost issues.

Its all about eliminating possible causes and usually its one of the cheaper things to do supprisingly enough.

Im no mechanic and im sure somonelike Dawsey and co will fill you in more on the subject.. :thumbsup:

If someone has boost issues then it probably is worth considering. However, my point is that there is no need whatsoever to routinely change such components as the distributor cap - rotor arm - plug leads. If that were the case they would be on the Toyota Service Schedule, which they are not.

If you wish to change them to prevent 'possible future problems' that is down to you.

Turbos eat rotor arms and dizzy caps!!

If you've just got the car mate or if it's never been done.

I would....

replace rotor arm and dizzy cap (I can get them very cheap if you're interested? - PM me)

replace the oil + filter (every 3K miles)

replace the plugs (NGK, can't remember the exact model number, give fensport a call and they will advise)

replace leads (you can get magnecor leads alot cheaper than stock ones)

Air filter

Also, what's the milage on your car? Coolant should be changed at 50K miles. If you find you have quite notchy gear changes, then slap some MT90 in there.

Thanks for your replies,

its nearing 70k and as i've just purchased it i would rather change these things for peace of mind,

does anyone else know which plugs are recommended?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links