Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Manhunt 2

1bloke1dog1mr2

The BBFC has refused to give Manhunt 2 a rating because of its "focus on stalking and brutal slaying".

Looks to me like it's the Wii format that's the problem because you physically act out the killings, but surely as it's an 18 certificate adults have a choice?

From the news this morning on the radio I thought the game showed ACTUAL footage of Jamie Bulger and his killers, but from what I've read on the BBC website, they are now saying it APPEARED to be footage of Jamie Bulgar. I can see why it's been banned for that single reason, but surely there are lots of games out there with !Removed! violence.

What do you all think?

heard this on the radio a few days ago... i think its very inappropriate to insert actual events of murders etc in games as there is no need to do so.

surely remove any trace of Jamie Bulger and re-release the game ? I agree with Fizz that there's no need at all for any actual events in the game but surely they would have been better to edit it before release and try to keep the whole Bulger case out of the limelight as not to bring back memorys to family and friends .

The first was a belter of a game !!

Totally agree with you both. There was no need to use graphics linked to an actual murder - whether factual or not - for the game. Perhaps a re-think on their part will get the game released.

Taken from the times -

David Cooke, the director of the BBFC, said that the board preferred to ask for cuts rather than order an outright ban, but that was impossible in this case.

“Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone in a game context which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing,” he said.

“There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed and encouraged.”

The game presented a range of unjustifiable risks to adults and children, he added.

The board said that the game was worse than its predecessor, Manhunt, because of the “sheer lack of alternative pleasures on offer”. Sue Clark, a spokeswoman for the board, said: “The only thing [the main character] does is go around and kill people extremely violently. When he gets out of the mental institution he [tries] to find out who he is, but that just involves killing more people.”

Anyone attempting to supply the game in Britain faces a jail sentence of six months and a fine of up to £20,000. It is not illegal to own, but imports can be seized at customs.

Online video game retailers contacted by The Times said that they would refuse to import the game even if it was legal to do so.

Rockstar, which is owned by Take 2 Interactive, an American company, said that it disputed the ruling but had not decided whether to appeal. “While we respect the authority of the classification board and will abide by the rules, we emphatically disagree with this particular decision.

“Manhunt 2 is an entertainment experience for fans of psychological thrillers and horror. The subject matter of this game is in line with other mainstream entertainment choices for adult consumers. The adult consumers who will play this game fully understand that it is fictional interactive entertainment and nothing more.”

The first Manhunt game was withdrawn by some retailers in July 2004 after the parents of a 14-year-old boy who was murdered with a claw hammer claimed that his killer was obsessed with the game. No link was proved, but studies have suggested a link between video game violence and aggressive behaviour in children.

A paper presented by Saint Leo University in Florida in 2005 suggested that children copied moves they saw in violent games, although no link has been made to killings.

Sue Clark, a spokeswoman for the board, said: "The only thing [the main character] does is go around and kill people extremely violently. When he gets out of the mental institution he [tries] to find out who he is, but that just involves killing more people"

Isn't that what happens in a lot of games?? When I play Red Steel on the Wii it involves fighting and killing with swords & guns

Manhunt 2 can't be any worse than any other 18 rated game....

Take GTA for example - you can pick up a hooker, shoot people, beat people up, flamethrower people and your aim is to get either a) the highest criminal rating where the FBI are after you or B) be the biggest mo-fo-ing gang leader...

Its hardly what 99% of the country does when they get home from a day in the office is it!

I dont believe in any way shape or form that a video game will influence a level-headed human being to kill another person. If the person is mentally unhinged in the first place, its a slightly different matter and quite frankly if they are that gone in the head they probably would have done it anyway, regardless of whether they played Manhunt, GTA etc etc or not.

The game that showed footage of a scene similar to that of Jamie Bulgers disappearance is another game entirely called Law and Order, and is not related to the Manhunt 2 debate. Law and Order has also apparently been withdrawn from sale but will not be banned, just altered to remove the image concerned.

At the end of the day, these game sell in the bucketload because of their content. Manhunt 2 will be more popular than ever and the ruling will probably be overturned, similarly to back in 1997 when Carmageddon was "banned" - it was then released shortly afterwards. I suspect the ruling will be overturned and Manhunt 2 will be at the top of the gaming bestseller list for several weeks atleast - and then when someone gets brutally murdered in a totally unrelated way, it will get blamed for being the "influence" behind it...

Always the way.

Take GTA for example - you can pick up a hooker, shoot people, beat people up, flamethrower people and your aim is to get either a) the highest criminal rating where the FBI are after you or B) be the biggest mo-fo-ing gang leader...

Its hardly what 99% of the country does when they get home from a day in the office is it!

Speak for youself mate B)

Speak for youself mate B)

Thats why I left a 1% minority buddy ;) :thumbsup:

I get urges to mow down pedestrians and ran some vehicles off the road... :(

Must be all the Carmageddon I played as a teanager :D

They say kids these days are influenced by these hyper violent computer games, that's bo**oxs, if we'd been influenced by pac man, we'd be walking round in a dark room, munching pills listening to repetitive music.

They say kids these days are influenced by these hyper violent computer games, that's bo**oxs, if we'd been influenced by pac man, we'd be walking round in a dark room, munching pills listening to repetitive music.

:lol:

yeah fair point , heard that a few times ! :D

Sounds like a good night out!.... lmao.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links