Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

If I Was To Go Turbo......

cfc1

What should I be looking at?.

what should I factor in and why? (clutch.. intercooler boost controller etc)

Dump Valve?

This is something I have been thinking about for a while.. but having never owned or really driven a turbo'd car (except oil burners) what are the pro's and cons?

Any info would be greatfully appreciated and would aid me in any decisions I might make.

I was following someone with a turbo'd Roadster the other day... It was overfuelling as the lamdba sensor was knackered but it was still damn quick in a straight line.

I know he was using an E-Manage Blue piggy back ECU and wideband lambda setup, custom manifold (obviously) and bigger injectors than standard. Not sure what turbo it was, but you'll need some sort of intercooler too. No idea if he'd upgraded the clutch, but I'd be surprised if the standard one could cope.

Only problem was the car had done 100k miles, about 30k with the turbo fitted and he reckons the engine is on the way out. Plenty of oil smoke from time to time...

Steve (the guy that owns it) is Spit on MR2OC and MR2ROC, he did all the install himself and I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you want to ask him about it :) Got a feeling he's done a few for other people now too.

How much does a turbo kit cost for the roadster Davy? You might be cheaper getting the engine replaced with a 3sgte out of the mk2 or even going V6 both are totally possible for probably around the same cost as a turbo kit once you get all the gear, ecu and crap and then mapped.

Sorry I missed you on MSN, gimme a shout next time you're on, theres certainly plenty of options out there.

What would be amazing is a beams engine powered mk3!!!

I would think about a transplant.. but it would be a 2ZZ ;) .. but that would only happen if I blow up the engine.

As for costs.. that depends on what you get.. anywhere from 3K - 4K.. this incl clutch and "stuff" *shruggs* (this is where you lot come in :lol:)

I have allready looked into the different kits available.. there are quite a few.. but its not really the turbo itself i would like info on.. its more the other things that go with it.. whats the best BOV (dump valve) intercooler etc.. is there anything else thats advisable like the clutch?

Go for a Blitz BOV, probably not the best you can get but they make the best noise! :thumbsup:

HKS all the way for BOV / intercooler :thumbsup:

exiedy or helix for your clutch.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links