Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Getting Into It?

Hou

Just wondering how hard it would be to change careers into IT? I am a part qualified accountant and really cannot carry on with it, I am starting to actually hate my career and get so bored

I have no experience or IT qualifications so would have to be a trainee role, do these exist or is it all uni stuff nowadays?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hou

• Fizz

• Norfolk n Chance

• Jamesb4uk

What do you want to do in IT, it's quite a big field, my advice would be to decide what you want to do and get quite good at it by doing it for yourself (if possible) then decide if you need further qualifications. Most of what I see goes on talent rather than qualifications. I've got a lad working for me right now who has got 2 Masters Degrees, and he's nearly useless - he completely lacks real world experience and common sense.

So what is it in IT that you want to do?

Depends on what you want to do... you should be able to get into a IT helpdesk role without any prior experience or qualification.

You can just adjust your CV accoridngly to enhance any relation to IT with reagards to interestests etc with home builds and the like.

Then once you are in with a company you can then demonstrate the PC engineer within you and move up.. ;)

Do they have any helpdesk type positions at your current company you could transfer to?

In my opinion degrees can count for not a lot (except a foot in the door at big firms) in IT - experience/common sense is key.

sadly they dont have any roles here that i can move to so would be looking exteranlly. Ideally I would be looking to go down the route of helpdesk and try and move into a programming role possibly doing some home based training while gaining some experience. I want a job where I can use my brain, thats challenging and puts me under a bit of pressure as thats where I work best!

Just thinking that at 22 if I dont change soon I never will

will you train me and are there plenty of hottys there?

will they take me with no experience and can i share your bed.....

oh yeah forgot to say, courier fell through (dont use eBay companys for couriers) so can either rearrange or pop it accross this weekend, up to you

oh yeah forgot to say, courier fell through (dont use ebay companys for couriers) so can either rearrange or pop it accross this weekend, up to you

If you could pop accross then that would be great. I could meet you at the end of the M606 either at the petrol station or McD's which are both off the round about. You got my number i presume?

was wondering what happened to the xbox lol now i know :P

back to the topic....

I'd start by doing an A+ or the MCDST to show an understanding of support.

As Fizz said - try looking for a 1st line/helpdesk roll then moving up within the company.

J

oh yeah forgot to say, courier fell through (dont use ebay companys for couriers) so can either rearrange or pop it accross this weekend, up to you

If you could pop accross then that would be great. I could meet you at the end of the M606 either at the petrol station or McD's which are both off the round about. You got my number i presume?

yeah as far as i know i have mate ill drop you a pm if not, ill rearrange with a propper company for you james

as for learning it mightbe worth me doing something along side my current role outside of work then take it from there

Guest MrMojo
will you train me and are there plenty of hottys there?

will they take me with no experience and can i share your bed.....

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm,,

Yes,

Yes oh Yes,,

dunno,

and hell no!!!!!! ah well go on then :lol:

Mo.

Hou hun... I managed it with no experience whatsoever!

Just lots of persistence and self-belief!

If I can do it, you can! I went for 1st line support roles and kept getting rejections, I must have applied for nigh on 70 jobs and heard nothing but negatives and one day an agency called me about a job in IT support for a retailer head office... I didnt get it but they got me another interview for a Database Manager role.... and thats where I am now and doing really well! :thumbsup:

If its what you wanna do hun, go for it and stick with it. I almost gave up, but I'm glad I didnt because I'm really happy with my job now and sooo pleased to be out of the mundane admin roles I was doing! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Right I have decided to take the dive, I have updated my CV cutting out some of the accountancy crap and adding in more about the IT work I have done at home, the programs used at work and the experience gained there and also anything else that I thought could help.

I have already started applying as theres a role just a mile down the road from my house, fingers crossed I find something soon

jobserve.com

ElanIT.co.uk

Modis.co.uk

Reed.co.uk

Just some agencies off the top of my head for IT jobs mate.

cheers mate, I found a great job with the right skills and taking my accounts background into it at sage the other day, shame im no longer with the ex, just up road from her house at newcastle!

first of many my friend.. lol

Its all about persistance..

why is it that now Im looking there isnt a suitable job to be seen?

do you think its worth investing in a qualification to help?

Just keep looking for now... What options do you have with regards to extra qualification?

Evening classes? Home learning?

Well home learning is looking to be the best option using an online course. Alot of the jobs seem to want experience in microsoft server 2003 so looking into getting some knowledge about that

When I learnt windows server stuff back in the day, I used CBT Nuggets disc's they are really good.

I've got some MCSE 2003 cd's somewhere mate,

PM me your post addy & i'll burn you a copy :thumbsup:

J

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links