Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flying Ants

1bloke1dog1mr2

Well I've had to come in from the garden because of the amount of flying ants leaving the nest. Looked over the rest of the town and it's like a sea of black flying things...YUK!

What I want to know is, how do ants get wings (apart from drinking Red Bull)?

Yeah, that happens this time of year, they are all going to make nests of their own, so I'm told.

How do they get wings? Tricky question, like asking how did I get legs... Just sort of there... hmm...

It's Flying Ant day!

They are all looking for a mate, a bit like a Friday night down your local High Street but without the binge drinking. The swarms only last 2 to 3 hours. The winged varieties are the reproductive males and females. They mate in the air and then the males die, unlike the pond life on a Friday Night!

The females (now fertilised) shed their wings and look for a place to stay for the winter, lay their eggs to start a new colony in the following spring. The ant larvae hatch are fed by the queen until they pupate. The first worker ants emerge to complete the life cycle.

Unfortunately the human variety do this every weekend and a high percentage of them up and Police cells or Accident & Emergency.

Give me flying ants any day!

:thumbsup:

Ahh, thank you TVOR, well there's lots of the big flying ant variety around without any wings so that would explain it. They seem to be the lucky few who have managed to get 'wingless' after the action!

alot of males die after s*x in the animal part of the world, thank god thats not true for humans :)

The males can usually be found having a post-coital ciggie with a big smile on their faces! :lol:

At least the flies are getting some... :lol: :lol:

Yeah... But only once!

There must be some ugly old flying virgin ants that have been around for years still waiting and hoping! There’re the ones with the graying antennae and bad backs! :lol:

It that the top of someones head??!!!!

yes

if your not careful Andy they will take you to their nest and make you into a slave cause they can lift 5 times their own weight

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links