Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Time For A New Cam Belt.

Calisto

Cam belt change is due :crybaby: I have been quoted from different places £350-£400 :unsure: appearently its a 3-4 hour job!!!! IF NOT MORE! :shutit:

Also been told its quicker and easier to drop the engine to get to bits!!!! :blink:

Is it really that much of a PITA???? Why did Toyota make it sooooooooooo hard??

[thats rite you will need to drop the whole lot out

er no

and er no to the price too, a genuine belt is £35 and a garage in york will do the labour for 65 quid...

Just checked my receipts folder as had the belt changed on my Rev 3 N/A a couple of months ago.

Labour £152.64 + VAT

Belt £34.63 + VAT

That's with 10% discount already applied. However, it is an extract from a big bill which also included new clutch and major service, so maybe it would have been more if I hadn't had the other jobs done.

How does anyone get from 3 to 4 hours (fair enough it probably does take that long) to £350-£400. I'm pretty sure I only pay £60 per hour at the local MR T (-10% + 17.5%) on the GT4 and I think they charge less for the MR2. Your quote would imply £100 ish per hour.

Speaking to MR T about getting my tracking done, so asked the question about timing belt.

Didn't get an actual quote, but it they said it shouldn't be much over £200 total. Let me know if you want the number to get a quote from them.

Still not as cheap as the £110 all in non Toyota offer that Dale mentioned though.

BTW - that's on an N/A they tell me it could be quite a lot more work on a Tubby.

Calisto

I do all my own work but if I need a garage I always go to Eston Motors. The owner Ian Buckton is a quality mechanic. Reasonable rates too.

Had a new belt fitted back in april and that set me back £205.00 all in.

jerry!!

• 2 weeks later...

If you doing the Cam Belt, you need to seriously consider replacing the tensioner pulley and spring too. Having a new belt and then letting the pulley/spring fail a couple of weeks later is pointless. I learned the hard way...

Also get the water pump checked out thoroughly at the same time as well. If looking like it's near the end of its life, replace it. It will save you in the long run.

Again, I learned the hard way...

The mechanic I used to use in Northampton charges in the vacinity of £220 all in for belt, pulley, spring & a full service (Oil, filters etc) which is worth it IMO :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links