Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Pub Industry Is Dying.

JappyBeast

Has anyone noticed a decline over the past few years in how busy the local pubs are?

There are countless pubs round my way that are up for rent but no one occupies them. 6 months ago a person at my work took on a pub and he was losing £12,000 a week because it just wasnt busy enough to pay for itself, he ended up bailing out.

My personal opinion is that beer is so cheap to buy from the shops these days and with an increase in quality home entertainment (I even have a pub fruit machine at home) people just dont need to go out any more. People are more up for BBQ's and parties than hitting the tiles these days.

My local charges £2.60p for a pint of Carling which I think is shocking.

I must admit I prefer a night in with the girlies and a bottle of wine and Dirty Dancing over the pub....

Saying that the pubs are smoke-free now which helps a lot :thumbsup:

Its just so much cheaper to stay at home :thumbsup:

The smoking ban can work both ways as far as pubs go, it will either encourage more non-smokers to go, or it will stop smokers from going.. unfortunately it seems that with the small local bar less people are going where as the larger bistro type bars are getting a little more business.. and as there are more of the "local bar" type pubs than bistro's.. you find that more and more pubs are feeling the pinch.

We prefer to drink at home, prices are an issue what with alcohol being so cheap at supermarkets. Saying that, we are heading out tomorrow night with friends who are down at the mo. I think it's a special treat rather than a regular thing nowadays to go to the pub. I might even splash out on some Mr Porkies pork scratchings to go with my beer!

The pub industry is dying.

When i worked at Carlsberg they were in the process of developing their "Draughtmaster" (a home beer pump) which they've now launched.

Business from pubs wasn't bringing in the profits it used to so they had to try and cash in on the "take-home" sales.

Takeaway is the way to go. How many get a kebab/chinese/chips/indian etc etc for a night in at home instead of eating in?

i read an article in OLN (Off-License News) when i was at work where people were blaming off licenses and supermarkets. I blame having to pay £2 odd for a pint. Our Pints at work, carling and forsters are 4 for £4 and stella and grolsch are 4 for £5

Because of the sheer size of supermarkets they are able to negotiate huge dicounts on the price of beer.

Carlsberg hardly made any profit from supermarket sales.

Pubs unfortunately can't negotiate the same discounts.

Another friend of mine took over a failing pub, turned it round in a year, making it very popular and then the brewery nearly doubled their rent!!!

He quit and started a pub in europe. Never saw him again.

I much prefer staying in with a takeaway and friends round ours, or going round theres to do the same and get some alcohol (normally Morgans Spiced Rum) to accompany us.

Pubs round our way are generally full of chavs or people just wanting to start aggro :angry:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links