Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Noise When Driving

toyotauk

hey all

i have just bought a new auris barely 350 miles on the clock however i have noticed that when i release the hand brake and ease off the brake the car kinda groans as it rolls forward initially. then at lights the same thing im stopped at the lights and as i come off the brake onto the accelerator i hear the groaning

occasionally i hear it when im driving slowly like crawling to a turn. it does not only happen when i first start.

its a multimode and i mostly drive it in e.

any suggestions?

I can't recall the exact reason for this but it's quite common on the auto Toyotas. I have had this with two auto Yaris Versos and my current auto Corolla. It has actually been explained on the forum somewhere but I cannot recall the exact thread. It is something to do I think with the forces exerted by the autobox when the brakes are on and then just as they are taken off. Puts a strain on something (might be the handbrake mechanism) that creates the creaking/groaning noise. I stopped worrying about it a long time ago and it has never got any worse. I get it every time I put the auto box into drive and take the handbrake off when I get the car out of the garage.

Mind you, I'd still recommend mentioning it to your dealer in case it is something else.

Hope that helps.

I can't recall the exact reason for this but it's quite common on the auto Toyotas. I have had this with two auto Yaris Versos and my current auto Corolla. It has actually been explained on the forum somewhere but I cannot recall the exact thread. It is something to do I think with the forces exerted by the autobox when the brakes are on and then just as they are taken off. Puts a strain on something (might be the handbrake mechanism) that creates the creaking/groaning noise. I stopped worrying about it a long time ago and it has never got any worse. I get it every time I put the auto box into drive and take the handbrake off when I get the car out of the garage.

Mind you, I'd still recommend mentioning it to your dealer in case it is something else.

Hope that helps.

This sounds like what I had initially on my non-auto Auris. Almost at a standstill it would make this groaning noise periodically, I took it back to the dealer and they were brilliant and sorted it out there and then within half an hour - I think they said something had got into the discs but I havent had it since. The roads were gritty after heavy rain on its first drive home and this may have had something to do with it.

Hope it helps

Thanks, im really glad you dont think its major. i phoned the dealer and they suggested i bring it in. so im taking it in on monday but i also know that they dont always know what you think they should...if you remember the thread ill be glad to have a read...

thanks

Thanks, im really glad you dont think its major. i phoned the dealer and they suggested i bring it in. so im taking it in on monday but i also know that they dont always know what you think they should...if you remember the thread ill be glad to have a read...

thanks

Managed to find the thread I think which is here:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...ic=62040&hl

In particular see the pseudo technical explanantion from 'TheSpannerMonkey' which explains it better than I did.

Let us know how you get on at Mr T's anyway.

I've recently got this noise too on my E12 2002 T-Sport. Its getting looked at on Wednesday when I take it for its 5 year 50k service.

• 2 weeks later...

the rear carriers for the brake pads on the auris resonate when driving which sounds like a groaning noise. this noise is amplified by the rear axle there is modified carriers available :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Just got my car back from toyota. Second time i had to bring it in. The first time they couldnt hear it. This time they adjusted the drive belt. Have to wait til a cold morning or midnight to see if it really is the problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links