Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Airbags

alanandpaula

Hi everyone

Just bought a 2000 Avensis SE and i would like to disengage the passenger airbag so that i can put my newborn daughter in her cubikat without worrying about it.....any tips anyone???

Hi,

I have a 2005 corolla and I am pretty sure that you can turn off the passenger air bag on the 'return' where the door closes. You have to use your ignition key.

Hi,

I have a 2005 corolla and I am pretty sure that you can turn off the passenger air bag on the 'return' where the door closes. You have to use your ignition key.

Thats a dead good feature!

Hey....

TBH, I would advise against fitting a child seat in the front of a car if there is an airbag there. Even if you can disable it. I am a fully trained child seat fitter (trained by Graco). If it is possible it is always advised to have the child in the rear of the car.

I know you can switch off the airbag etc, but at the end of the day, that is all that it is... a switch. A switch could easily fail, which would result in the airbag going off in an impact.

If you're worried about being able to see your child etc if it was in the rear, then you can get mirrors you can position so you can see the baby.

Personally, I would NEVER put a child in the front of the car. When in the rear, they will have the seat infront of them to stop fwd motion if you were ever in a crash. In the front there is nothing but the belt to stop the motion.

On that note, I would also check the seat fitment for what is called "buckle crunch". If in a fwd impact crash with a seat that suffers buckle crunch, then there is a great chance that the force of the seat acting on the buckle will break it and this would obviously result in the seat travelling fwd.

I don't know what a cubikat is as I've never heard of one, but if you are worried about the suitability, or fitment of the seat, then if you goto any Halfords store, they should be able to advise. You would be suprised the amount of people buy seats from Argos etc where they aren't test fitted and they are far from suitable for the car they are being used in!!

I have a 9month old daughter and I would never let the Mrs put her in the front of the car. Much safer in the rear.

Jim.. that's excellent advice :thumbsup:

I'm afraid I'm with Jim on this one.. I would never fit a baby seat in the front a car for the same reason Jim has stated above. I know Halfords take a lot of stick in most car forums.. but like he said, pop into your local store with your seat and get their advice, even if you haven't purchased the seat from them they will still be only to happy to help, this is one area where they really are good.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links