Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Computer

Bos

Can someone please help !!

I have recently bought a new machine and plan to sell my old one.

The old one is a Pentium 4 and I still have the original 'Recovery' disc and 'Service Pack 2'. To 'clean' the computer do I just 'run the recovery disc and then install service pack 2 ?

Will that remove all of the 'personal information' and other software that I have loaded, so that I can safetly sell it ?

I'm sure that most you you know a lot more about PC's than I do.

The old one is a Pentium 4 and I still have the original 'Recovery' disc and 'Service Pack 2'. To 'clean' the computer do I just 'run the recovery disc and then install service pack 2 ?

Will that remove all of the 'personal information' and other software that I have loaded, so that I can safetly sell it ?

Yeha - if you have backed everything up,

pop in the recovery disk & restore it. then bung on SP2

J

Thank you Jamesb4uk.

I have already transferred all my info. onto my new computer, I just want to make sure that nothing personal remains on my old machine.

There are ways of finding out what information has been 'deleted' but I doubt anyone would go to the effort like the police have to sometimes.

• 2 months later...

Download P.G.P and run it over the hard drive to make sure any data is completely overwritten.

Remember just deleting it does not remove it, you just can't see it but with a few cheap tools you can bring it back.

Yep.. the old data doesn't get deleted.. all that happens is that it is put into a state that it can be written over and it becomes invisible.

Do as raistlin says and download and run an app that will complete write over the full HDD with gobbledegook files.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links