Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Help Required

MissMR2

:( broken... or soon to be...

had a wee problem with reverse and it grinding for a while now, but nothing major, didnt do it that often, i jst put it down to me...

but has continuosly got worse and has now started grinding in first now and then...

So... We've been to see Mr Toyota this morning, and after half an hour with a techie in my car and driving round a car park, and reversing it finaly made the noise... and he reckons its some linkage of something as its trying to jupm out of gear... So after Mr Toyota quoted me to have the gearbox taken out and oput back in yet, minus actually finding a prob and pricing parts etc, I walked quite quickly out of the door.....

After harsh convo with my mam on the way home about me taking out another loan to get him fixed etc.. (her face being a picture at this point.lol) , I decided to stop in at my work (Mitsubishi and Renault dealership/garage) and had a nice chat with our techie and service manager and they reckoned Id be best of getting a reconditioned gearbox, as once the old one is taken out you might find more problems than first thought...

So, you nice peoples on here... anyone know anywhere where I could get a decent gearbox from, as this, to me, seems the better option.

Ive been sat on the net and googled and found loads of old ones as spares, with mileage around 64,000, but would I not be better off with a re con one?

help.. please.lol

Hugo is off road from 31st till prob Feb time, so I got time to save etc, to get him fixed around Feb....

I got a 2nd hand one for £200 inc delivery a while back and it was 100% fine. It's a risk you take though unless you get a recon one.

You could try to put MT90 in yours and see if it's any better?

am i better of getting a reckon one then, u reckon?

anywhere you can suggest to get one from, in any condition...

DEpends, if you're gonna fit it yourself or get someone to do it for free, then it's worth chancing it with a 2nd hand one as it's not that much money. But if you're gonna pay labour etc to remove/fit it, then I would get a recon one. Would save you money in the long run if it turned out to be a dudd 2nd hand one that you would have to get a garage to remove/fit again.

(if you get me?)

got you. ta. :)

my work be fitting it, and they said i best off with a recon one, so ill go with that idea....

could just be the clutch dragging, possibly sorted by pedal adjustment.

i wouldnt trust toyota dealers to diagnose a lawn mower!!!!

if it crunches into reverse it is most likely that the clutch isnt disengaging, as the reverse gear does not have a synchro.

is it hard to get into gear whilst stationary?

no, putting into any gear its fine...

i put it down to the clutch (all my mechanical knowledge you see :P lol) as the gratting noise is asif its not gear properly... but it only does this noise in reverse and first gear... mostly in reverse.

Done 160mph on axle stands once. :D

Would have been messy if the car had fallen off and landed on the ground. lol

"It's about to start jumping out of gear"? :eek:

Will be the first MKII I've heard this happening to... :blink:

My track car (MK1) gear box has been grinding for over 2 years. It's in all gears and only on lift off. A kind of grating sound you describe. I'm not worried about it as it's just a track nail/rust bucket etc... I think I know a very easy cure to mine, just haven't had the time or motivation.

* Does the gearbox make the noise on lift off or when you put the power down?

* Have you buzzed the engine (changed down when the engine is at a very high revs or accidently slipped in into 2nd instead of 4th from 5th) recently or shortly before it started making the noise?

* Did the MrT idiots (sorry they have no idea what they are doing now-a-days) check the gearbox oil levels?

* Did they check/rule out driveshafts, CV joints and wheel barings?

iv had the gearbox oil changed in this last year.. so that cant be it..

it is funny that its not everytime that it dose it.. but i dont remember changing down in high revs or whatever, as im normally only really mooching aorund town in him, then bringing him home..

it doesnt make the noise when setting off, only when its in reverse and first....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links