Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Where’s Did My Hard My Drive ?

BigBaz

I wonder if I can pick your brains. I have a Western DigitalWD2500JD External Hard drive connected to my pc by USB, this drive stores all my important files. I needed to save some files from a laptop so disconnected the WD2500JD from my PC and connected it to the laptop. All went well, I added files from laptop to the WD2500JD. I disconnected it from the laptop and reconnected to the PC.

This is the problem......... When its connected back to the PC, although the drive is recognised, its showing as having no files OR file system on it, I haven't done a format or anything else with it but what can I do with the drive / settings to be able to access these files again ? There are some very important family documents on the drive and I cannot afford to lose them.

Using WinXP disk management shows the drive as Healthy & Active but no File system

I really could do with some useful help and advise here please.

Thanks in anticipation.

run "chkdsk /f" in dos prompt

or use getdatabackforntfs

before disconecting it from your pc/laptop did you eject it first or just pull it out?

Just took the usb lead out from the pc

post back the results from the chkdsk command

post back the results from the chkdsk command

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\>G: chkdsk /f

The volume does not contain a recognized file system.

Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the v

olume is not corrupted.

that syntax does not look correct, try

chkdsk g: /f (if g: is the usb drive)

you might want to try fixboot and fixmbr commands if you can get to windows setup recovery console

that syntax does not look correct, try

chkdsk g: /f (if g: is the usb drive)

you might want to try fixboot and fixmbr commands if you can get to windows setup recovery console

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\> chkdsk g: /f

The type of the file system is RAW.

CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.

D:\>

Thatrs my results from chkdsk ?

try http://www.runtime.org/gdbnt.zip if the drive is ment to be NTFS or use http://www.runtime.org/gdb.zip if its FAT32

if it find the files you will have to buy the software and do the scan again to recover the files, if none of the programs find any files then the files are lost

there are companies who will open up the drive to recover the data at a high cost

try http://www.runtime.org/gdbnt.zip if the drive is ment to be NTFS or use http://www.runtime.org/gdb.zip if its FAT32

if it find the files you will have to buy the software and do the scan again to recover the files, if none of the programs find any files then the files are lost

there are companies who will open up the drive to recover the data at a high cost

Many many thanks, looking into this now

Thank you for taking the time to reply. At the moment it seems that my only option is to run my data recovery software, (Which I forgot I had !!) back-up the retrieved files to another drive, then format my WD drive and restore the files from whence they came !

FWIW I use a program called 'Recover My Files' from getdata.com

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links