Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electrical Problem

hotrod007

Hi can anyone help? On my UK spec MR2, K Reg, the lights on the dash, e.g. Battery, oil, etc. stay on during tick over, but if I rev they go out. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Thanks :huh:

take it to a good mechanic or even a Toyota dealer and get it checked for faulght codes? thats all i can suggest, i hate electrical problems. there never easy

Hi can anyone help? On my UK spec MR2, K Reg, the lights on the dash, e.g. battery, oil, etc. stay on during tick over, but if I rev they go out. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Thanks :huh:

Sounds like the alternator is struggling to meet the load that the car is drawing at tick-over.

So perhaps the alternator is starting to fail, or maybe you're drawing a lot of load. Is there anything that might be consuming lots of power? If nothing then it could be the Battery because if that's failing then it could be consuming quite a bit just to keep it charged. Does the Battery go flat if car isn't used for a few days? If not, probably is the alternator itself struggling, but as samsite999 says, get it checked by someone who has the necessary equipment to test it properly.

BTW - what rpm is it ticking over at - could be that it's just ticking over too slowly; how many revs do you have to put on it before the light goes out?

your not running a sub and amp in there at all are you? my mate had a problem were the head unit would power on on ignition and turn the amp on, it would draw more current than the alternator could supply when starting the car. Im not sure but i think he managed to kill it

Hi can anyone help? On my UK spec MR2, K Reg, the lights on the dash, e.g. battery, oil, etc. stay on during tick over, but if I rev they go out. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Thanks :huh:

Sounds like the alternator is struggling to meet the load that the car is drawing at tick-over.

So perhaps the alternator is starting to fail, or maybe you're drawing a lot of load. Is there anything that might be consuming lots of power? If nothing then it could be the Battery because if that's failing then it could be consuming quite a bit just to keep it charged. Does the Battery go flat if car isn't used for a few days? If not, probably is the alternator itself struggling, but as samsite999 says, get it checked by someone who has the necessary equipment to test it properly.

BTW - what rpm is it ticking over at - could be that it's just ticking over too slowly; how many revs do you have to put on it before the light goes out?

I thought it was the alternator but thought I'd try and get a second opinion because they're a bit of a nightmare by the looks of it. Yes the Battery does drain down after a few days. thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

your not running a sub and amp in there at all are you? my mate had a problem were the head unit would power on on ignition and turn the amp on, it would draw more current than the alternator could supply when starting the car. Im not sure but i think he managed to kill it

I'm not running no amp but have thought about putting a scanner on it if I didn't get any joy in this forum. thanks for your time :rolleyes:

Pop over to any Halfords (or similar) and get a Battery test - it will confirm if it's either the Battery or the alternator. But it does sound like the alternator is failing.

Alternator replacement is one of the easiest jobs to do given the right tools (decent socket set), a little bit of savvy/common sense and not minding getting your hands dirty. If you have the time and another car, whip the old/original alternator off, drop it in at an alternator refurbisher (plenty around), collect it next day after paying the man £30 or £40 and re-fit. Also fit a new alternator belt. Job done :thumbsup:

Or drop the car in at any half decent garage if you don't want to get dirty. Will probably be quicker too ;) :thumbsup:

Pop over to any Halfords (or similar) and get a battery test - it will confirm if it's either the battery or the alternator. But it does sound like the alternator is failing.

Alternator replacement is one of the easiest jobs to do given the right tools (decent socket set), a little bit of savvy/common sense and not minding getting your hands dirty. If you have the time and another car, whip the old/original alternator off, drop it in at an alternator refurbisher (plenty around), collect it next day after paying the man £30 or £40 and re-fit. Also fit a new alternator belt. Job done :thumbsup:

Or drop the car in at any half decent garage if you don't want to get dirty. Will probably be quicker too ;) :thumbsup:

Cheers mate sounds like good advice. Had it checked today it is the alternator. thanks very much. :toast:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links