Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Mk1 Project

Severn

Hi guys,

think I have finally got some pics sorted!! If they appear below the answer is yes!! lol

Got this Mk1 that, for now, I have put up in the corner of my unit so that I can pull to pieces when I get a few mins and try and pull back to its former glory. They appear to becoming a little scubik so I'll and keep in one piece......Had an MOT done yesterday and the report list was 2 pages long. All in all tho not too bad, gonna need discs and pads front and rear. Got the fronts but need the rears. Most likely callipers as I have heard quite commonly needed after standing for a while....

a small wiring problem with fog light, suspension spring, 4 wheels and tyres and both sills need welding.

If anyone has any bits lying around that they want to offload or advice on doing the work it will all be greatly received!!!!

Oh yeah and it'll need a respray when its road worthy!! lolDSCN2023.jpg

DSCN2024.jpg

DSCN2026.jpg

DSCN2027.jpg

DSCN2028.jpg

DSCN2029.jpg

super car, the Mk1. Glad it's getting the TLC it deserves.

As far as parts go, all I can let you have is a foot pump for the front wheel !

I couldn't let it get stripped down or scrapped. Its got me by the, well, wallet most likely!! She'll be going on axle stands over the weekend and I'll get started next week!! Planning on keeping same colour and only changing wheels for some nice ones, otherwise keeping it standard.

I've had Mk2's and 3's so I may as well go back to basics!!

Some friends of mine have plans of turning it into an off road go kart!! I think I will need a lock on my unit!! lol

its nice to see some one spending the time and effort on such a classic, best of luck with it mate

I'll keep you posted on the progress!! And no doubt i will be on here when I am pulling my hair out with it too!!!!Gonna aim to have her road worthy in next 3-4weeks depending how much time i get and lucky for me the guy in the unit next door to me paints and welds!!! :D

i see its a T-bar, does it leak? in a few months time i plan to help me missis get one, id be interested to know how much it cost you to get it roar worthy as well?

keep us posted

Sam

Hey Severn - I was about to host the pics you sent me, but I see you've sorted it; they got stuck in my spam filter.

Car looks like it's going to be nice when you've finished it. As others have said, nice to see somebody taking the time to save another of these classics. Red T-Bars FTW! Can't help with any of the bits you need sorry.

Good luck with the project; looking forward to seeing the progress, I love to see cars like this restored to their former glory.

i see its a T-bar, does it leak? in a few months time i plan to help me missis get one, id be interested to know how much it cost you to get it roar worthy as well?

keep us posted

Sam

I can't see that it has been leaking and has been outside for some time....seems to be quite tight around the rubbers too. I paid £200 for the car as a PX and maybe it was more than it should be in present state. It also needs a clutch so all mechanicals and MOT work done I would estimate £500-£700 but I will do most of it myself. Respray should be I think £500 or cheaper from a friend. but could cost more if you don't know anyone with a paintshop. thatjust leaves the wheels and tyres which won't be much.

Trouble is, its like any project.........they can quite easily run up bigger bills with things you don't expect...

Are you wanting a project car or one ready done??

Hey Severn - I was about to host the pics you sent me, but I see you've sorted it; they got stuck in my spam filter.

Car looks like it's going to be nice when you've finished it. As others have said, nice to see somebody taking the time to save another of these classics. Red T-Bars FTW! Can't help with any of the bits you need sorry.

Good luck with the project; looking forward to seeing the progress, I love to see cars like this restored to their former glory.

Hey Tony,

Yeah, thanks for your help!! I found a spare afternoon so thought I would get it on. Forgive my inexperience but what is the FTW?? I am sure I will have just embarressed myself by asking!! lol

I am a real believer in keeping cars on the road........Not a fan of stripping them unless absolutely necessary! Just a huge car fan!! She'll be back one day...Hopefully sooner rather than later!!! Dry stored until then!! ;)

And I have promised the last owner that she won't be scrapped! Man of my word!!

Neil

Forgive my inexperience but what is the FTW??

Sorry, my fault for using txt speak; I tend not to do so, but for some reason I use that one a lot.

FTW = For The Win.

Oh, and Boro Sera I might need the foot pump you offered as the day after I took the photos I had all four tyres flat!! lol

Im going to be looking at at least 8 months before im well enoth to take on a project like that. But i want something simple that i can start to practices on. Im hopping by then i can rent some garage space of me boss as he has a unit down the road from me.

im thinknig of the mr2 mk 1 because there are so many nackerd examples going around cheep that just need some TLC, there is also a lot of cheep parts floating about for them on eBay. And for a insurance point of view there cheep as well

I want to attempt the re-spray my self as i have all the kit, just never got around to using it...

Got ya!!

I will prob be getting a mk2 again to keep with it ;) If anyone comes across a tubby t bar that needs a little attention but comes cheap, very cheap, as may need the money for this one first!

Im going to be looking at at least 8 months before im well enoth to take on a project like that. But i want something simple that i can start to practices on. Im hopping by then i can rent some garage space of me boss as he has a unit down the road from me.

im thinknig of the mr2 mk 1 because there are so many nackerd examples going around cheep that just need some TLC, there is also a lot of cheep parts floating about for them on ebay. And for a insurance point of view there cheep as well

I want to attempt the re-spray my self as i have all the kit, just never got around to using it...

I see that you are shrews too...I'll keep my eyes peeled for the st185. got a st205 coming back next week I think. Can't wait I love them!

If I come across another I will keep you in mind or need to sell this one. From what I can see there a lot the look like needing just TLC but can cause a lot more probs.... Certainly this one. taking bolts off and changing parts is going to be tricking, the rust so much that once you start one thing it causes three or four other problems!!

how cheep is cheep? i just sold mine for 1100, but my mate is looking to get rid of his t-bar and get a hard top or turbo

LOL, i just noticed your in shrewsbury to!! what are you driving then, its a celica but what version? EDIT > ST205, nice, got any photos?

how cheep is cheep? i just sold mine for 1100, but my mate is looking to get rid of his t-bar and get a hard top or turbo

LOL, i just noticed your in shrewsbury to!! what are you driving then, its a celica but what version? EDIT > ST205, nice, got any photos?

Well, I drive a range rover most days as I have a car trailer for moving my cars and a celica/mr2 is normally better on the back of the trailer.lol. My business is cars so they come and go all the time......

This is the celica which will be back hopefully next weekend.

THis is the GT4:

GT41.jpg

This is one you may have seen around shrews a couple of months ago:

celica001.jpg

there both very very nice moters, out of my budget range though. Well if ever ur in the abbey and see a red GT4, ill get you a pint (of shandy lol)

there both very very nice moters, out of my budget range though. Well if ever ur in the abbey and see a red GT4, ill get you a pint (of shandy lol)

I'll keep my eyes out....I live round the corner on Shaw road. Your friends MR2? It red with some graphics down the side?

ahh, i know were that is, up past the police station. Na, his is a dark blue/green. 18inch alloys and T-Bar. The paint work is kind of scruffy

You got it.....Round the corner from the abbey......I'll keep my eyes out for the car and randomly ask round the pub who owns it!! lol

Not read the whole thread, but it looks like you got a fairly decent car there.

Restoring it back to it's former glory can be a very long winded story. I started out like that on my now track car, but soon realised it wasn't going to happen within my budget and I soon learned some aftermarket parts were a fair bit cheaper than some originals.

Also don't always think you are getting a good deal off eBay. There are loads of people paying way over the odds for things. I saw a set of exhaust gaskets (£2.80 from MrT) go for over £10 on eBay :lol: We have also seen replacement front wing got for well over £150 on eBay when they are £110 from MrT :lol:

I couldn't help noticing that your seats had been repalced with an early spec cloth seats from a white car (or possibly even an uber-rare black 1a) B)

Get yourself over to the MR2 MK1 Club, there are loads of people selling all sorts of bits and offering all sorts of services dedicated to the cars. The webiste which is currently being redeveloped has loads of useful info, including repair guides and a host of other resources. No other site or club worldwide has as much info. Everyone pretty much has their own agenda with the cars

One of the members has a car that had a 5 year restoration where every single nut and bolt were replaced with stainless steel, every piece of black trim was sandblasted and powder coated, every part replaced for new. The car is now in better condition than when it rolled out the factory. An awesome commitment and undertaking B)

I, for one, am not into having my cars look all pretty and smart. I drive the nuts off them on track and make sure they are sound for handling and performance before worrying about the body work. Although in our family of MK1's we also have a fairly heavily modified show car which gets pampered and doesn't get driven on the roads much, only going out to shows.

I'm hope your ownership is a good one. I'm sure the car will give you plenty to smile about. Have fun :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links