Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Temp Sensor Mr2 Mk1

chris100

Hi

My car is overheating, I want to try and disconect the tepature sensor so the fans are on all the time. does anybody know where to locate the sensor?

the fan is thermostat controlled? it should come on automatically when it gets to temperature? are they not switching on at all?

no, the fans dont come on, actually, the heating doesnt work either. it over heats then tempature needle drops to normal realy quickly, it's like theres a faulty sensor or thermostat.

that really is a strange one, I can see that you have 2 topics running about over heating as well. in the other one you said you ruled out air locks, is that still the case?

If its bubbling in to the expansion tank and no fans are kicking in thats a little worrying...I had a problem like that with a fiat bravo i had. I replaced the thermostat and it was fine.

I have just checked underneath car and it apears there may be a leak! the guy at the garage last week said he did a presure test and it showed no signs of leaks! if it is leaking then I guess air locks can get into system??

i would think its possible, although im no mechanic...

how much of a leek are we talking about? pints, or drips? any idea were its coming from?

thers a metal pipe coming from near the thermostat, withj rubber pipes conected at various points, it look's to me if there is a crack or hole in the metal pipe and a pevious owner has tried to bodge repair it with a jublie clip and bit of rubber. the rubber has melted over time and so it has started leaking again.

Sorry Chris... we've been away so didn't pick up on this.

If the car is overheating like you describe, there is no "failsafe" meathod of driving it. In fact you should never attempt to drive it if even getting slightly hotter than normal. Get it recovered.

You can have the fans spinning all the time, but in all honesty, it won't do much at all.

The cooling system on these cars are so over-engineered. I have removed my radiator fans from the car as they never ever came on and have never had a problem with the car overheating on track or stuck in traffic.

Although I run my enginebay fan permanently to assist keeping the overall bay temps down.

You can run your rad fans permanently by disconnecting the temp sensor connector on the right hand side of the rad.

You can run your engine bay fan by disconnecting the engine bay temp sensor (the sensor pointing downwards to the fire wall in the middle of the bay).

But please be warned, if your car is overheating, running the fans permantently will not help.

You need to find out why the car is overheating mate and don't drive it until it's sorted. If you drive it, you will damage the engine further.

As said in your other thread, I doubt it's the thermostat that's causing the overheating problems. In fact I would put money on it.

Edit (just re-read your post):

Although this bodge you now mention could be the cause of your problems. Get another housing from a scrapper and if you're going to be replacing that, you may as well replace the thermostat. But as said so many times, I doubt very much it's the thermostat itself.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links