Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Know Anything About Central Heating?

JappyBeast

Anyone know anything about central heating?

Seems my radiators are comming on when the water is on but I have them swtched off on the main control !

I was red hot last night and this morning, why are they coming on?

The thermalstat is aslo set at 10!

When your hot water gets to a certain point, to stop it from boiling over and going pop, the heating system can send it round your radiators to easy any pressure.. this can happen even if you have your central heating switched off.

If you can set your hot water on a timer to come on at times you want to use it and goes off when you don't need it, then the water will cool back down easing the presure and your radiators won't come on.

BUT.. I'm not a plumber :(

Have you got the new Combi boiler or the old fashioned type that uses a header tank?

Lol, I dont really know!

I have a rectangle box in the kitchen with a pilot light in it which makes noises and then in the spare room there is a tank sorta looking thing that gets hot!

Seems my radiators are comming on when the water is on but I have them swtched off on the main control !

I have exactly the same problem in my house! Its not been doing it for a while which is good though.

You seem to have the same system as me which is the old one with a header tank.

I have exactly the same problem in my house! Its not been doing it for a while which is good though.

You seem to have the same system as me which is the old one with a header tank.

If that's the case there should be a separate valve to change over from "Heating/Hot water" to "Hot water" only :yes:

It's probably your programmer/timer is knackered making the system act like you're requesting heating. The Thermostatic Radiator Valves could be passing but the fact that it's all of the radiators pretty much rules that out. It could be the Room Thermostat being done in making it think it's freezing & then getting the radiators to pump out heat. I'd guess at it being the programmer but I'm not an engineer (work in the office of a central heating company) & I'm really tired & nursing a hangover so I could be wrong, you need someone to call out & look at it to replace whatever is faulty for you though

When your hot water gets to a certain point, to stop it from boiling over and going pop, the heating system can send it round your radiators to easy any pressure.. this can happen even if you have your central heating switched off.

You're half right there, most systems (all of the ones that are fitted nowadays) have a Thermostatic Radiator Valve (the thing with the numbers on that you turn to change the sensitivity of the sensors, making the radiators pump out more heat) on each radiator except for 1. That 1 can't be turned off so that the boiler can vent any excess heat to it before problems start to develop so instead of all of the radiators getting hot, so just 1 radiator would be hot instead of them all :thumbsup:

Ahh! That explains why the towel rail in the bathroom doesn't have a thermostatic valve on it then. I'd always been curious about that. Cheers!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links