Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Model/revision Mr2 Do I Have?

sidelight

I have recently bought a 1996 P-reg. 2 litre MR2 GT-i T-bar. It appears to be unmodified but is quite quick. Can anyone tell me what revision it is and where I can browse through some performance parts?

Welcome. Any pics?

Probably Rev 4.

Try Rogue Performance, Fensport et all.

Also check out the threads on performance parts on this site - quite often people will say where they bought the parts.

Also look out for group buys on sites like IMOC. That said, the majority of tuning seems to focus on the Tubby because people who are particularly concerned about performance tend to go for those anyway. The other option if you really want to spend some serious dosh is the Camry V6 upgrade ;) Suspension upgrades are obviously equally suitable for the Turbo and N/A models.

Hi - Im new to the forum and wondered what you use to identify the various revisions?

Is it just the vehicle age?

To an extent - there were 5 revisions almost evenly spread across the 10 years of the 90s, so it's easy to have a rough idea of revision from age.

But of course each revision implies changes, so knowing the changes helps. Some of these are visual external changes - such as the Rev 3 spoiler, Rev 5 spoiler etc, but others are internal, so the engine Bay pic is sometimes required. Some visual changes can throw you though - e.g. Rev 1 wheels were smaller, but of course it's easy to pop a set of later wheels on an early car.

It's also possible to determine revision from the VIN or Chassis number as a table of VIN sequences is readily available.

Hi - Im new to the forum and wondered what you use to identify the various revisions?

Is it just the vehicle age?

To an extent - there were 5 revisions almost evenly spread across the 10 years of the 90s, so it's easy to have a rough idea of revision from age.

But of course each revision implies changes, so knowing the changes helps. Some of these are visual external changes - such as the Rev 3 spoiler, Rev 5 spoiler etc, but others are internal, so the engine Bay pic is sometimes required. Some visual changes can throw you though - e.g. Rev 1 wheels were smaller, but of course it's easy to pop a set of later wheels on an early car.

It's also possible to determine revision from the VIN or Chassis number as a table of VIN sequences is readily available.

thanks for the reply!

sounds like I have a bit of learning to do :rolleyes:

sounds like I have a bit of learning to do :rolleyes:

Yep, we've all had to do that.

Some pics of different revisions here on MR2s.Co.Uk and some info on Wikipedia that might help.

But for all the facts check out Brian Long's book on the MR2 - it has tonnes of info on the various revisions. Review here

Or if you have any questions on the revisions fire away - I have the book.

T

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links