Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Disabling Router Firewall....

Jimlad

Iv done it before.. needless to say my comp was buggered and riddled with viruses in 3 days.. (made a Counterstrike source server lol) i didnt even browse the net etc and it still buggered up

• 4 weeks later...

Still don't know why it would be such a problem, or if it would be.

If you just use a ADSL modem with no router then there is no hardware firewall there anyway. You simply depend on the software firewall installed on the PC/Laptop do you not? So disabling the hardware router firewall would be just like running a broadband connection with a modem and no router would it not??

Anyone?

:D

What firewall software are you running on the PC? If it's the standard windows one, then very bad idea. For starters it's not the most solid firewall ever written, and to make matters worse the hackers love to break it because it's Microsoft.

If you have something more sophisticated, such as Sunbelt, then your chances are better, but to be honest I still wouldn't recommend it. It's the equivalent of saying why should I lock my car doors when it's got a steering lock. The answer is that two levels of protection are better than one, and hackers, like car thieves, go after the easiest targets.

That said, depends how important the data on your PC is. If it's just a games machine, then the risk might be worth taking. If it has any personal info, especially finance related, then don't even think of it.

• 3 weeks later...
Was going to disable the firewall so P2P programs worked properly etc, etc.

But then I read this....

http://www.tech-faq.com/disable-netgear-ro...-firewall.shtml

Is it such a problem when the laptops have their own firewalls??

Just wanted to check before I went ahead and done it.

Buy a cheap router, then disable the MS software firewall, then configure Norton to let you P2P through.

The router will act as a hardware firewall which is the best type, do not disable your virus checking and you should be sound.

I use Limewire & Gnuttel and by doing this I have never had a problem.

:thumbsup:

Don't disable the router firewall.. it's better than a software one and you don't need to do it in the 1st place.

Type in http://192.168.1.1/ to your browser, this should open your routers homepage.

In a seperate browser tab/window go to http://www.portforward.com/english/routers...routerindex.htm and look up your router, follow the instructions on the page to set up the ports you want to use.

eg.. If your p2p application uses port 411 you would set that port and application in the "port forward range" in your routers section.

Personally I don't like norton.. I use Sygate pro and AVG free edition.. never had any problems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links