Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1st To 2nd Gear Change - 1.3 Yaris

Blue84

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone experienced the same as I do when changing from 1st to 2nd gear in the Yaris Blue.

The only way I can really describe it is when you are bringing the clutch up after the moving of the gear stick it feels like the clutch is a bit sticky and stays "engaged" for a few seconds so when you go back on the accelerator it's sounds like it revs up a bit.

I am aware that it might be something I do, but it never happens with any other gear changes....it feels like the pedal moves faster than the actual mechanism itself.

Oh and the car has done 30,700 miles now and had it's 30,000 service last month...so it is well looked after (just dirty). I've been driving for 4 years now and never have the problem with the other cars I drive!

Thanks

Tina

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone experienced the same as I do when changing from 1st to 2nd gear in the Yaris Blue.

The only way I can really describe it is when you are bringing the clutch up after the moving of the gear stick it feels like the clutch is a bit sticky and stays "engaged" for a few seconds so when you go back on the accelerator it's sounds like it revs up a bit.

I am aware that it might be something I do, but it never happens with any other gear changes....it feels like the pedal moves faster than the actual mechanism itself.

Oh and the car has done 30,700 miles now and had it's 30,000 service last month...so it is well looked after (just dirty). I've been driving for 4 years now and never have the problem with the other cars I drive!

Thanks

Tina

If it 4 yrs old it should have had the 4yr or 40,000 service even though you've only done 30,000

It's called clutch slip. To test the severity, slot it into 5th at 30mph and floor it, if the revs flare up but the car goes nowhere then investigate a new clutch. If nothing happens then it's probably more to do with the clutch plate. I remember in my yaris' 2nd year, I had a similar problem but in every gear and usually after it had rained... the clutch plate had somehow had water ingress and was changed under warranty, not a problem since.

Best thing to have done is the clutch fluid renewed and bled, as this is a primary cause of perceived slip.

Hi All,

Thanks

Tina

If it 4 yrs old it should have had the 4yr or 40,000 service even though you've only done 30,000

No, you haven't read what I put properly.....the car is not 4 years old - I said "I've been driving for 4 years now"....as in that's how long it's been since I passed my test ;) the car is DEFINATELY on 30,700 miles and is 2 years and 7 months old. I may be a woman but the one thing in my life that is completely organised is the Insurance Policies for all the cars & their servicing etc :thumbsup:

Cheers for the advice seveer...I'll give that a try shortly and see how it goes...I couldn't notice any problem with it today and it's been raining and damp all day. I think I'll have to get my Dad and Yves to drive it moreand see if they notice it happening too...just so I have someone else to confirm it.

It's called clutch slip. To test the severity, slot it into 5th at 30mph and floor it, if the revs flare up but the car goes nowhere then investigate a new clutch. If nothing happens then it's probably more to do with the clutch plate. I remember in my yaris' 2nd year, I had a similar problem but in every gear and usually after it had rained... the clutch plate had somehow had water ingress and was changed under warranty, not a problem since.

Best thing to have done is the clutch fluid renewed and bled, as this is a primary cause of perceived slip.

Gave this a try tonight....put it into 5th at 30 and all it did was labour the engine, no rev up at all....which is a good thing....

I shall keep an eye on it and see what happens...cheers for the advice ;)

Gave this a try tonight....put it into 5th at 30 and all it did was labour the engine, no rev up at all....which is a good thing....

I shall keep an eye on it and see what happens...cheers for the advice ;)

May have just had something contaminate the clutch plates. Give it a while before wasting money but if it worsens, get it looked at! This sort of thing hapens to clutches and brakes, if the vehicles are parked up for weeks on end, without much useage.

Also, first to second gear changes are always going to be a little harsher then any others, on cars, bikes, lorries, Etc.

Hiya Gar,

The car is used every day, only very rarely is it not driven, and driving to and from work today I made myself pay proper attention to gear changes and didn't notice any problem whatsoever....which makes me think that unless it is an incredibly intermittent problem I may have been doing something like going back on the accelerator a bit too quickly..as the junction I always noticed it at most is one that is quite a busy and fast road and I always want to get moving quickly!!

Oh and no comments about how females cant drive now I've said this :lol:

Hiya Gar,

The car is used every day, only very rarely is it not driven, and driving to and from work today I made myself pay proper attention to gear changes and didn't notice any problem whatsoever....which makes me think that unless it is an incredibly intermittent problem I may have been doing something like going back on the accelerator a bit too quickly..as the junction I always noticed it at most is one that is quite a busy and fast road and I always want to get moving quickly!!

Oh and no comments about how females cant drive now I've said this :lol:

As a training driving instructor, I wouldn't dream of critisizing what will be potentially, my biggest market. Women ARE safer drivers and usually take more lessons then their male, accident prone (17-21 year old males are the most likely to crash) counterparts!

Most gear crunching and clutch drag comes from trying to rush and rushing is not faster driving, just rubbish driving. Take your time, get it right.

Happy motoring, Gar.

• 1 year later...
Hi All,

Thanks

Tina

I have the same model car, and the exact same thing has started happening to me. Its as though I'm pressing the gas when the clutch is down when I'm not. I've tried over exaggerating doing gear changes from 1st to 2nd to make sure it's not me being a tit not driving properly. Dunno what's wrong with it, it's only just started doing it today. If it persists I'm going to the garage. I'm aware this is a two year old post but i thought i would reply anyway. If you found out the problem of your cause, could you please email me.

Hiya

Yeah this is a bit of an old one!

It does still do it occasionally, but I put it down to one of it's very few 'quirks'. I have noticed that I've worn through the mat so my heel sometimes gets caught in the hole if I don't keep my foot up enough and that obviously causes a problem - you havent got that on yours have you?

I do wonder if sometimes it's just a little bit sensitive? I used to have trouble with gear changes and it would J*erk between changes but I've readjusted my driving so I really force the clutch pedal down as the mat is thick and can prevent the pedal going right down to the bottom of it's travel. It would then J*erk if the pedal hadn't gone down enough so thats something which might be handy for anyone else having gear trouble.

(the filter kept putting stars in place of J*erk when I wrote it without a star, so I haven't gone crazy it's the only way I can describe it)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links