Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hey, New Here :)

2o-Seb-o7

Well, first of all, hey to everyone out there :)

Right, i MIGHT be getting a 1989 starlet (1000cc i think) for my first car, from my dads mate - I can get it cheap. So my question is, what mods can you do to it? Bodykits, engine mods, etc.. But id also like to get insurance as cheap as poss, cos im only 16 atm, and itll be for my first car in about 7-8 weeks. Also would like to go for the cheapest stuff first as im building a locost kit car aswell (Which is costing quite alot) Ive got quite abit of knowledge about cars, My dad is a mechanic aswell, and im training to be one, so it shouldnt be any hassle having the skills/tools to do them.

So yeah, thats basically it :D

(Sorry if none of that made sense or isnt needed, but yeah lol)

Hi Mate,

Welcome to TOC.

Not sure about mods for the Starlet ( although there are plenty of owners here who will know more ).

Mods mean insurance hikes though, so modding and cheap insurance seem mutually exclusive - especially at 16.

As you're training to be a mechanic I'd have thought that your time ( and money ) would be better spent maintaining/restoring it to as good a car as you can. Keep it fairly standard till you get a few years NCB under your belt. They are a cracking car and really easy to work on too.

Good luck

Rich

Thanks for the welcome,

Ive done some research and the insurance on it, is around £1200 (On my dads name) And with a bodykit, exhaust, alloys, lowered >5cm and tinted windows its only around £1900, So not that much of a hike considering thats about all id do to it lol

Hang on - you're paying £1200 as a named driver with a provisional license on an '89 Starlet? You're with the wrong insurance company mate - I wouldn't pay more than £700 as a named driver.

Also - £1900 a year is "not much of a hike" with those mods?!? The car is costing you - what - £600 tops so you're going to pay 3 times as much as the car in the first year simply on insurance?

If you can afford that - fair play - but I'd keep it stock for the moment.

CC

• 3 months later...

Hey i'm new too i thought i'd post here as your 89 project sounds rather interesting.

are you sure you want to get knee deep so soon into owning your car?

i'm 17 and i've just bought a 98 starlet and i' m really itching to get into modifying it but i know its better to wait a while and see how the insurance fairs up

also whats sort of modifications are you look to do?

if you do start the modding then please post up some pics as i'm really interested in the old school starlets

good luck :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links