Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New To The Mr2

simpson_eh

hi all

just purchased a jap import mr2 turbo with 85k kph on the clock 1st uk owner, already had the clutch go on me within a month not impressed, now im reading a few codes on the engine mangement they are 21,heated oxygen sensor,35 knock sensor and a dx reader??? 52 i think when i push the car the ecu light comes on and cuts so much power its embarassing. my usual garage says it cant be the oxygen sensor alone but there are no other codes please help.

ive also got a delimiter coming but dont want to fit it yet as the car isnt running right it also idles at 1200 please please help

when i first got this car omg wow, so impressed with the power now i havent got it anymore.

regards

Tony

hi all

just purchased a jap import mr2 turbo with 85k kph on the clock 1st uk owner, already had the clutch go on me within a month not impressed, now im reading a few codes on the engine mangement they are 21,heated oxygen sensor,35 knock sensor and a dx reader??? 52 i think when i push the car the ecu light comes on and cuts so much power its embarassing. my usual garage says it cant be the oxygen sensor alone but there are no other codes please help.

ive also got a delimiter coming but dont want to fit it yet as the car isnt running right it also idles at 1200 please please help

when i first got this car omg wow, so impressed with the power now i havent got it anymore.

regards

Tony

sorry guys its a revision 3 twin entry turbo not sure if this is the norm or not,

i am going to mod this car as it is completley standard so would appreciate so suggestions

also with the delimiter can i fit a uk mph clock and will it work correctly i asked the toyota garage they said no but i didnt tell them that i had a delimtier that would either convert to mph or stay at kpm

i bought the delimeter from twosrus.com thanks to reading other posts :)

Firstly, Good Morning and welcome to TOC........and thats about it from me.....more people in the know will be around later to help you out.

Cali.

Welcome to TOC,

I kinda have/had the same problems with mine and still struggling a little but getting close to the problem, so i know what you mean it's a pain big time.

O2 sensor aint a biggie and will not sap the power so i've been told,

Knock sensor will cos mine did, the reason the power goes when knock (detonation) is sensed is to preotect the engine it retards the ignition a lot!!, main things to check are too much boost, incorrect ignition timing, should be 10 degrees BTDC, or poor fuel, only use high octane fuel in these engines i never use anything but Shell v power,knock sensors are notoriously too sensative on the 3s-gte, but there to do a job, there is a GM mod for this but i'm not sure bout changing mine.

not too sure bout ur high idle, but it could very well be related,

delimiter is fine and should also convert kmh to mph and read correct depending on what speedo head you have cos there are a few different ones, i have one that reads 110mph and another that is 180kph but using the converter/delimiter reads correct mph if you get me.

First things to mod are, good replcement air filter A'pexi is the one to have, a good free flowing exhaust, and a de-cat(depending on year and month of manufacture you do not need a cat for MOT for jap imports until jun 1995 iirc), after that a boost controller of some sort either a manual or electronic one tis ur choice depending on ur budget, i wouldn't go more than 15psi without an uprated intercooler tho. you can safely run 18psi with uprated i/c tho.

Think that covers most things, if i'm wrong or missed anything i'm sure some one will correct me,

Where's Dawsey when you need him! :lol:

Mo.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all thanks for the info but my problem still persists

my engine runs lovely when cold but as soon as it gets a quarter of the way up the temp guage and i give it alittle welly the engine management light comes on and retards the timing loads, ive replaced the lambda sensor but the problem is still there cant find any split pipes and the ecu is still showing the same codes lambda sensor and knock sensor.

please help

i use super unleaded and have done nothing to the car since i purchased it so still standard

Clutch - this is one of the problems buying a car on import where you don't have the chance to test drive. It's just bad luck really. Once replaced should be fine.

Have you cross-referenced the diag codes? Many codes have more than one cause (well certainly in the case of MK1's). Is the engine bay cooling fan working?

When was the car last fully serviced?

Have you checked all the induction hoses for splits/poor seals? Have you checked all the vacuum hoses for the same?

Have you checked the values of the TPS?

Sorry, but I can only offer advice on basic stuff on the MKII as it's been a number of years since I had one. Best to post your queries on a SMF like imoc or the oc. Or contact the guys at Rogue Motorsport.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links