Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Needed. How Can I......

pauls n/a MR2 GTI

i have a 1990 uk spec Mr2 Mk2 N/A.

the brakes are *****e, i mean really *****e so i want to upgrade to bigger and better.

budget is on the cards as just put the downpayment for the wedding venue and "other essentials " according to the pretty one.

i have ben offered a set of revision 2 cross drilled and grooved vented discs for pennies, front and rear,

i have installed 17" rsgt wheels so there is tons of space

1. will they fit?

2. if not why not

3. how can i make them fit?

4. what do i need to buy and will my original calipers work with them?

i will be getting bigger better calipers when i get my yearly bonus around april but until then i would like the car to stop.

PROJECT NUMBER 2

my stereo did not exist, so i did what any sensible person would do and installed a 7inch dvd double din player monitor tv thingy.

the compononent Speakers on the drivers side just do not work! i branched the wires from the additional left and the Speakers work stand alone so its not the actual Speakers, its the internal amp or the splitty thingy that works with the components.

where is this located... the internal amp and the component crossovers.... if thats what they are called.

i have bought a 300watt amp and the proper cableing for it, i will be installing this and would like to remove all the original stuff.

i would also like to upgrade the speakers.

---how many speakers has the car... i counted 2 in the back... a hole where it looked like a 6x9 would fit behind the passenger seat and 2 on each side in the front.

---what sizes are each of those speakers and what is the biggest- or best-- cost considered that i may get and fit.

thanks for the help folks.

The rev2 brakes should go straight on. Only thing you might have to do is bend the disc sheild thingy.

As for your Speakers, 2 in the wing mirror area (tweeters). 2 in the door and 2 crappy ones in the sides at the back.

You may also have a sub behind the seats if you have the active sound system.

You can bypass the amp if you do have it if it's the amp that's causing the speaker not to work, but you would have to run wires from the HU direct to the Speakers as far as I'm aware.

Rev 2 discs won't go straight on if it's a rev1, they're larger diameter.... You'll need calipers and carriers too (maybe just carriers, not entirely sure). If you've got the rest of the brakes too and not just the discs it'll be fine :)

In what way does the car not stop? The standard brakes should be adequate and certainly not dangerous, do you have spongey pedal? Do you press the pedal hard and the car doesn't stop?

Could be a number of things, but the cheapest option is probably some new standard discs and pads, fresh brake fluid and refurb the calipers if you've got any sticking problems.

this is my first MR2, my last 3 cars were porsches 2 of them classics ie pre 1985 and they stopped on a penny compared to the mr2.

ill try the brakes from the rev2 as they are bigger and ill buy some rev 2 calipers, there are tubby 2 piston calipers for sale on eBay, are these a good buy?

MR2 TUBBY CALIPERS REV2

how much should i pay for them realistically?

what are the risers? are they the metal arms that hold the caliper in place on the disc? and again how much sould i pay ideally please.

thank you for replying guys, i really do appreciate it.

Also, if you still have tiny 14inch rev one wheels.. they dont fit round the discs!

Psst, 17" wheels.

Also, if you still have tiny 14inch rev one wheels.. they dont fit round the discs!

Psst, 17" wheels.

He has 17's btw!

The brakes are the same for tubbys/nas up the revs... so rev2 tubby brakes are the same as rev2 na ones... (afaik)

I will be sorting my brakes out soon... cause mine are a bit poo... she stops... just not sure how... cause I dont think the brakes are stopping her :P I had one seized slider on the rear which ended up giving me a diagonal brake pad... she still stopped straight.. lol

Sorry, I thought you had the complete brake set up inc calipers etc.

Jappy, you can get Supra brakes to fit, but with alot of fiddling/fabricating as far as I'm aware! If you are gonna get Supra brakes, get some UK ones.

The rev1 brakes aren't that bad. I had them on my tubby and they done an ok job in stopping me! Faded really quickly though!!

The brakes are the same for tubbys/nas up the revs... so rev2 tubby brakes are the same as rev2 na ones... (afaik)

I will be sorting my brakes out soon... cause mine are a bit poo... she stops... just not sure how... cause I dont think the brakes are stopping her :P I had one seized slider on the rear which ended up giving me a diagonal brake pad... she still stopped straight.. lol

I had both rears seize on me at the same time. An expensive repair bill!! I couldn't get over 20mph no matter how hard I pushed it! Brakes were red hot when I got to the garage! lol

The brakes on the yaris are better than the ones on my Rev1!

so whats the soloution for me then? what can i do? i nearly pushed out a trouser malteser trying to slow down tonight

are my rev one front calipers only one pot?

I'm sure they are twins?

Easiest solution would be to get a hold of a complete rev2 setup with fast road pads.

Another option would be Supra brakes - if you know a good garage that could fit them. Failing that, a big brake conversion, but they are quite expensive!

Might be a stupid question... but what kind of state are your current pads and discs in? What kind of state are your current calipers in? It may be a case of you have to just sort them out rather than upgrade...

Psst, 17" wheels.

He has 17's btw!

:rolleyes: :D

Might be a stupid question... but what kind of state are your current pads and discs in? What kind of state are your current calipers in? It may be a case of you have to just sort them out rather than upgrade...

they are good actually, thats the first thing i checked, but thank you for the common sense imput.

i priced a high spec brake upgrade and that scared me more than the lack of braking........

also... would like proper caliper paint and lacquer.

Could be a number of things, but the cheapest option is probably some new standard discs and pads, fresh brake fluid and refurb the calipers if you've got any sticking problems.

I'd replace the master cylinder seals and fit Stainless flexi hoses too. Don't forget that the car is 17 years old and rubber don't last forever !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links