Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lsd In A Fwd Car... Explain Please.

Jimlad

Why can't you see the point of them in FWD?

They do exactly the same job in an FWD car as they do in a RWD, but given that it's easier to spin a wheel under heavy acceleration in a FWD car, they're arguably even more important.

What Tony said,

drive umm say a series 2 rst which has an lsd and then a fiesta rst which doesn't, down the same twisty road in an umm spirited manner and you will see the differnce.

Mo.

Why can't you see the point of them in FWD?

They do exactly the same job in an FWD car as they do in a RWD, but given that it's easier to spin a wheel under heavy acceleration in a FWD car, they're arguably even more important.

Ha as he said

Wot's wrong with you Jimlad????

A dunno... FWD cars... all a bit weird and Alien to me lol.

Don't they have them in Scotland Jim? :P ;)

ill swap boxes in the rolla and let you have a go :lol:

not so important in a low power/torque FWD car but up the power and more importantly the torque and youll have a car that as soon as you hit the gas you find yourself in the hedge bottom!

ask any one who's driven a series 1 RS an LSD is a must.

it is important to get the correct type though.

there are two common types of LSD plate and helical (also known as torque biasing)

plate type are as the name suggests friction plates that join the two output shafts together these ave a sprung loaded preload on which will hold the two shafts at the same speed upto a point and then when the slip overcomes the spring tension the plates will slip thus allowing the differential action.

this type is not so good on a FWD car as it makes steering response very snatchy .

the helical type is much better for FWD as it sends more power to the wheel with most grip unlike the std diff which will spin the wheel with least grip. this type is best for fwd as it both lessens torque steer (hedge bottom pull) and provides excellent traction also means that if you wheel spin you light up both wheels, next time your at pod look at some of the corsas, saxos etc you will see them do a burnout and only the nearside wheel spins :lol:

even with 470bhp and 380 ft lbs the rolla doesn't torque steer at all on most roads and that's due largely to the helical LSD and equal length driveshafts

Cheers for the info!!!

Quick question...

I have an ATS 2 way LSD in the skyline.

What's the difference between 1.5 and 2 way diffs? It's set up for drifting is all I know. Chatters like a !Removed!!!

Why do diffs chatter?

that bit im still learning from what i know so far its all down to how the LSD works, a 1.5 way IIRC works mainly on acceleration and a 2 way works on braking as well. i may be wrong but ill try and find out for sure

LSD? Pah.... Diff locks are the way forwards :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links