Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving With Handbrake On

poprocks25

Can anyone give me some advice- I was driving home from work in my Aygo last night and drove about 2/3 miles before I realised I hadn't fully released the handbrake. I didn't notice any burning smell- the only noticeable change was in the performance, as the car obviously didn't accelerate as quickly as usual. I diddn't go any faster than 30mph before I noticed and took the handbrake off. What I really wanted to know was if any damage will have been done to the car- is it worth me taking it in for a service or is it nothing to worry about?

Should cause toooo much a problem. :unsure: I've done it a few time when I started driving. If there was no smell and you performance returned, there is no foreseeable reason to waste money.

I agree; might have caused a tiny bit of wear on the rear brakes, but almost certainly nothing to worry about.

If you had really over done it and driven long and fast enough to cause lots of heat, then you could have done some damage - for example melted the oil out of your rear wheel bearings, but I think you'd have known about that if it had happened.

There's a good chance that you have glazed the rear brakes which will effect the efficiency, de-glazing is easy enough though, a light going over with emery paper will do it. :thumbsup:

Les

Its a hand brake.

Park on a hill as steep as you can find and apply the handbrake, does it work well. If yes, then put it down to experience, if no try what Les recommends or take for a service

Don’t you have a warning light on the dash if the hand brake is on?

I know the Aygo is cheap, but it can’t be THAT cheap?!

yes there is a little red light that comes on but i fuunily enough did the same thing today only got a little way at 30mph before i noticed and it had been released but not all the way, but i wouldnt worry about it too much poprocks

lol....... :lol:

In the seventies my uncle drove across london in a rolls with the handbrake on....

By the time he got to his desitnaion the hubs were glowing red..... But he noticed no power loss as they are torque monsters lol

dont the handbrake only work on 1 leading edge of 1 shoe anyways ?

Yes, it does have a warning light, but to be honest I didn't check for 5 mins or so and thats when I realised it was still on. The brakes don't seem to have been affected at all, although I did notice a very faint smell of burning rubber yesterday on the way to work. Seems to have gone away now though so I'm just wondering if maybe I glazed the brakes and it was the smell of the rubber burning off. Just hoping no damage has been done to the rear drums though.

What rubber? Glazed brakes have nothing to do with rubber. Hell, they don't even have anything to do with glass! ;)

Yes, it does have a warning light, but to be honest I didn't check for 5 mins or so

0 out of 10 for observation :blink:

Good job it wasn’t the oil warning light :eek:

Put it down to experience. I doubt if there is any damage :thumbsup:

What rubber? Glazed brakes have nothing to do with rubber. Hell, they don't even have anything to do with glass! ;)

Class........... :lol:

What he could have said is that the rubber smell is probably a coincidence

Seriously there will be no problem, it will be fine

Yes, it does have a warning light, but to be honest I didn't check for 5 mins or so and thats when I realised it was still on. The brakes don't seem to have been affected at all, although I did notice a very faint smell of burning rubber yesterday on the way to work. Seems to have gone away now though so I'm just wondering if maybe I glazed the brakes and it was the smell of the rubber burning off. Just hoping no damage has been done to the rear drums though.

Did you drive to work wearing wellies ?? :D

Relax all, he probably means the smell produced from friction. poprocks, if your worried about the brakes getting "glazed", it's time for 101 Brake Checking. It's a no brainier and it good to learn how to open up a drum brake.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links