Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Converting From Kph To Mph

stacko111

Hi guys, newbie MR2 owner here so any help would be much appreciated!

I've got a MKII 1992 G-Limited Jap Import. The speedo needle is out of sync with the dials plus the dials only go up to 110mph. What do I need to do to rectify this?

I'm assuming that I need to buy new dials and some sort of converter but have no idea where to start!

I await your expert advice, pic is below to help explain:

DSC00176.JPG

Looks exactly the same as mine, when you say that the needle is out, so it doesnt read 20mph when you are doing 20 mph?... should be right. Mine reads KM on the tacho only.

I think it reads 110 mph because your import is still restricted.

Looks exactly the same as mine, when you say that the needle is out, so it doesnt read 20mph when you are doing 20 mph?... should be right. Mine reads KM on the tacho only.

"Mine reads KM on the tacho only." The Tacho tells you the revs of the engine, not the speed you are going in mph or kms :rolleyes:

"Mine reads KM on the tacho only." The Tacho tells you the revs of the engine, not the speed you are going in mph or kms :rolleyes:

I meant the thing that calculates how far you have traveled, what is that called? Thats what is still in K/M!

I meant the thing that calculates how far you have traveled, what is that called? Thats what is still in K/M!

mileometer ??

kilometer ?

new dial faces would be a cheaper option mate and less faff on . Good opportunity to replace the dash bulbs also to some nice bright blue leds.

kilometer ?

new dial faces would be a cheaper option mate and less faff on . Good opportunity to replace the dash bulbs also to some nice bright blue leds.

Surely if you change the dials the needle wont point at the right speed!

Thanks for all your responses, however I'm still not much clearer.

The needle does not point to the right speed when driving, e.g. if it says I'm doing 40mph I'm actually doing about 32mph. I don't think just fitting new dials will fix this as they'd have to be even more spaced out than the current ones which wouldn't work.

Also on the motorway I can get the needle all the way round (to 110mph on the dial), my revs whilst doing this are only around the 5000 rpm mark, nowhere near redlining which I would expect when getting the top speed out of the car.

The 'Odometer' (I think that's what its called - the thing that records the distance) is in km but I'm not too worried about that - I just want to get the speedo working properly in mph - I've got 9 points and going through speed cameras is most disconcerting when you're not sure what speed you're doing!!!

The speedo face you've got is already converted - that's why it only goes up to 110 (approx 180kph, which all Japanese cars are limited to and would have been the maximum on the original face).

Do you still have the standard wheels? If not what wheel and tyre size are you using on the rear?

The speedo face you've got is already converted - that's why it only goes up to 110 (approx 180kph, which all Japanese cars are limited to and would have been the maximum on the original face).

Do you still have the standard wheels? If not what wheel and tyre size are you using on the rear?

Cool so if thats the case then I need to get the delimiter to drop any restrictions and convert to mph right?

Looks like the standard wheels are still on - 15" flat spoke ones.

Rear Tyres are: 255/50 R15 91V

Front Tyres are: 202/50 R15 86V

That's just it, the speedo face should do all the converting you need. All it does is change the scale, so where it said 180 on the speedo before it now says 110, where it said 50 it says 30 etc. That SHOULD just work without doing anything else!

Rear tyres are slightly bigger than standard, but that should make the speedo read lower than actual speed, not higher (and not by as much as you're seeing). Don't really know why it isn't right now!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links