Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing Kmph With Mph

andreaj

Can anyone help me?

A French friend of mine has been told she needs to reregister her French car (a Yaris) because she spends more than 6 months at a time in the UK. She has been quoted £1500 to do the required conversions to the speedo and lights. Is there a cheaper way? I've heard of a replacement speedo that you can add into the circuit and stick over the top of the manufacturer's one - main cause of cost is because it is digital rather than a dial - not the prettiest solution but if it's cheaper, it'll save her buying a new car. So far I can't find any info. Can anyone help?

digital speedo? just tap the button that flicks it between mph and kmh?

:unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

Correct if it's the digital one then all you need is to press the button, as regards the headlights, if they are charging silly money like that then surely it's cheaper just to buy new headlights at about £150 each.

Aye push the kph/mph button to switch between the two readings.

As for the lights.... either get a couple of "converter stickers" Technical term!! which will prevent dazzling other road users when driving on the left hand side in Britain... and also simple to take off when going back to France.... or get them re-alligned at a Garage...should only take 30 mins max...so your looking at say £30 tops.

but on going back to France...they would need to be re-alligned again...I'd go for the "Converter stickers" simple stick on the headlights covering the "bright spot"

Reminds me of a British/French issue a while a go...the French Authorties insited we paint our headlights yellow to drive in their country... so Her Majesty...God bless her said...ok...fair enough...but we insist you use clear lights in our country!

As for Re=registering the car.....I'm not sure....as it's registered in France...and pay tax to France....but spends over 6 months in this country? not sure where you stand with this....does it need to be registered in this country...and given a UK plate? if so..what happens when going back to France? question for the DVLA..unless someone has some details??

Vipes.

A bloke at work just pops back down to france for a week every 5 months or so to get round it. He's been doing that for about 2 years now.

Hi folks,

I've looked at photos of LHD Yari (correct plural?) and they don't seem to have the same labelling on the MPH/KPH/bright/dim button. I think that outside of the UK and other "imperial" markets then this button only change between dim and bright displays. I'm prepared to be corrected on this btw...

Speaking purely as a product designer it would seem weird for any car company to design MPH market-specific electronic displays as complex as the Yaris speedometer when most of the world uses kph. That's all a long way of saying that surely the change s should be able to be made by changing a jumper or dipswitch on the circuit that is making the MPH/KPH change redundant. As to which one...

I hope that that makes sense to someone else.

Cheers,

A

yeah i can remember there is another variation of the yaris dash now!

is it the one with the big singular dial in the middle?

my mistake!

Jaxx,

You're right, there is the big single dial version (as used in the American Echo, I think), but I mean the digital version. I'll try and find a picture and then post it. (Boss is away!)

I'll get on to that once I've had my lunch!

A

Okay folks, it's time for me to eat humble pie on this one ... If we all turn to page 6 of our handbooks :bookworm: we will see that the display for a LHD Yaris is the opposite to the one that we all know and love from our (not-T-Sport) Yarii.

The image for the RHD instrument cluster shows both MPH and km/h with button 5 labelled as "Extinction canceling button or canceling extinction and switching km/h MPH button". For the LHD cars it only shows km/h and button 5 is labelled as "Extinction canceling button".

It looks like it could be a new instument cluster that's called for.

Sorry,

A

maybe :unsure:, but not about just being able to tap the button.

sorry...

maybe :unsure:, but not about just being able to tap the button.

sorry...

no need to say sorry buddy :lol::thumbsup:

i aint got a clue!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links