Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Crankshaft Oil Seal Help!

combattuk

does anyone know if i can take out the oil seal on the crankshaft, out on the cam belt side with the engine still in the chassis, im doin a cam belt change and took the the crankshaft timing pulley gear off and have noticed the seals abit worse for wear, im hoping i can change the seal with out a engine drop, any help will be much appreciated

As far as I can tell, looking at the schematics of the 3S engine you can.

The removal of the oil pump housing (onto which the seal is mounted) is classed as an 'Engine in-car repair' in the Haynes manual for the Carina E. Their procedure shows the seal being removed whilst the oil pump cover is on the bench. The replacement is then driven in using a suitable socket as a drift.

Obviously this would mean removal of the sump etc. A bit messy.

In theory you might be able to remove the seal without having to do remove either the sump or the oil pump cover. It might be possible to drill and screw a self-tapper into the seal. this would give you a lever to pop the old seal out. To drive the new seal in you may need to invest in a 'deep' socket to use as a drift which will clear the end of the crankshaft.

Of course get a replacement seal infront of you to be sure of dimensions etc. And use a hand drill.......ooops!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links