Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Used Auris And Overall Problems With This Model

beowulf

Hi all,

I've been looking at buying a used 2006 Corolla but recently decided that perhaps the Auris will be a wiser decision.

Here in Portugal used Auris models are still hard to find, especially petrol, but I'm looking at the 1.4 D4D model (manual) which appears to be the most common.

It will be an early 2007 service model w/about 8-15 kKms, in good shape I hope.

Not sure if the D4D 1.4 90hp engine will be too sluggish but due to Portugal's tax system anything above that is too overpriced. I'll try to test drive one in the next days.

Meanwhile, I read most of the posts on the forum but still have the following questions:

-Any problems I should expect in an Auris from the first batch (I had relatives with 3 Corollas an Avensis an Yaris and the ones that were from the "first batch" always had minor assembly problems.. but all were reliable).

-Is the electronic stability/traction control worth it? It's one of the aspects that made me look at the Auris instead of an older Corolla

-Are the front parking sensors worth it? I want rear sensors at least since I usually park at places where only a supermarket trolley would fit :)

-Is there any site that has information about firmware tweaks (like the auto-door-lock thing) and software upgrade info?

-My knowledge when it comes to spotting mechanical problems is very basic... anything I should try to look at with particular care in this model before handing the check to the vendor?

This will be a tremendous financial burden and I'm looking at a car that can last 15 years or so (150.000 kms) without major problems... so I'm just wondeering if the first Auris batch equals the older Corolla's reliablity (maybe someone working at Toyota has that info now that the model has been on the road for a year or so).

I've heard many complaints about the rigid plastics and the poor seats, but the occasional squeak and crack isn't something that will bother me much.... if that is the only problem.

I just want a safe, reliable car to retire my french 1995 Peugeot 106 with 105.000 km. :)

Thanks and best regards to all.

Nuno

Hi

The 1.4 D4d it s brilliant engine... I was also worried about it being sluggish as i drive Autos and went for the mmt option, but im having so much fun with the little engine its amazing.. took it over a pass in the mountains yesterday and my passengers thought it was in a Rally car !!! The Auris is so light you wont need to worry about it being sluggish unless you used to a sports car.. fuel economy and tax is a real bonus..

Hi, I have the 1.4 D4D Auris too and I'm in Portugal :)

About the engine as he said it is very good specially for highways in 5th you can reach 100 to 140 km/h very quickly it is very optimized so that you don't have to touch the gear box in highways. You will have to work more with it in city roads.

About problems well I think its what you will find in the forum the most commons are the squicky brakes and the dashboards rattles I still couldn't solve both. I will replace the pads next week and hope to solve that one. As for the rattles they tried to close more all the gaps in the dashboard but I think this is not the problem something inside it touching some other part and causing this. Anyway I will be stubborn and they will have to solve it.

The auto locking of the doors it was something I wanted to ask them and I forgot on the 15000 km review I hope I won't forget next week. I don't have parking sensors on mine can't help you out with that.

The VSC is very good not to sensitive I could only make it work once and I must say it worked as it should it was my first car with such system and I was surprised with the security it transmits but I will try not to go that far too many times.

As for reliability I think you will have car to last those 150000 km minimum the engine is the same as the one in the Corolla, compressor and almost all the mechanical parts. I wouldn't worry to much about that point. Just make sure that those minor bugs are solved in the one you get so that you don't have to go there to fix them.

Hi, I have the 1.4 D4D Auris too and I'm in Portugal :)

About the engine as he said it is very good specially for highways in 5th you can reach 100 to 140 km/h very quickly it is very optimized so that you don't have to touch the gear box in highways. You will have to work more with it in city roads.

About problems well I think its what you will find in the forum the most commons are the squicky brakes and the dashboards rattles I still couldn't solve both. I will replace the pads next week and hope to solve that one. As for the rattles they tried to close more all the gaps in the dashboard but I think this is not the problem something inside it touching some other part and causing this. Anyway I will be stubborn and they will have to solve it.

The auto locking of the doors it was something I wanted to ask them and I forgot on the 15000 km review I hope I won't forget next week. I don't have parking sensors on mine can't help you out with that.

The VSC is very good not to sensitive I could only make it work once and I must say it worked as it should it was my first car with such system and I was surprised with the security it transmits but I will try not to go that far too many times.

As for reliability I think you will have car to last those 150000 km minimum the engine is the same as the one in the Corolla, compressor and almost all the mechanical parts. I wouldn't worry to much about that point. Just make sure that those minor bugs are solved in the one you get so that you don't have to go there to fix them.

Hi, how did the maintanace(15kkm) go ?

Hi Xana,

I wanted to give a full review when I exchange the brake pads but ok since you are so interested I will tell you now :)

The review went ok they delivered the car on the same day and reviews all the aspects I pointed out. Oil they used is Visco 5000 and they didn't exchange the brake pads because they didn't had new ones in stock for the Auris.

As far as the rattles he said that they tried to close all the gaps in the dashboard as much as possible but as I said above I don't think the problem is related to this so that anoying rattle specially on the right side is still there I will tell them this on monday along with the auto locking of the doors. But this is a firmware question that goes above them if the firmware is not available nothing they can do.

I payed 147 euros including the wash which was 12 euros. I think 119 euros is the basic then they charge you a tax for the old oil treatment, and windshield fluid.

Hope I was clear. I didn't ask if they changed the filters (oil and air) but I think they did it.

Seriously, if you can put up with the build quality issues, then I would think that any Toyota would serve you well for a fair few years to come.

Sadly in the case of the Auris, there are other cars in the same segment that cost a similar amount that are built to a far higher standard. I drove a new Yaris a few weeks back, and I was astonished that the build quality of the new Yaris had slipped so far from the original that I drove a fair few years back.

With more manufacturers pushing to give a feel of a far higher quality, than the model that went before, Toyota really need to sort themselves out. If they don't they'll be falling behind the likes of budget brands like Skoda and Kia, rather than as they used to in the past compete with Volkswagen and other premium brands.

I don't want to defend Toyota since I'm also affected by the rattles and other minor problems but we have to consider that the Auris is a brand new car with a brand new dashboard. As so I think somehow this problems are normal. Many people have the idea that smoother plastics are better but I think it has nothing to do. Auris is an ecological car the dashboard can be recyclable and is a bit more expensive then a normal one. Besides the rattle problems I think come from the inside I doubt it is a matter of plastics or flaws between the several parts. I wish I could open the dashboard to see it. Anyway I think its not so fair to point out the quality of a car just because of its inside. More and some people doesn't know these, what may look as a good quality item can with time demonstrate that the quality was not so high. I know for example that toyota steering wheels have to stand 2x much sunlight as a C4 steering wheel. Renault is in the middle and only honda requests the same quality.

Although I am certainly not in a position to comment either way about the build quality overall of the Auris what I can say is that, as a 55 plate Corolla T-Spirit owner, I have looked at the Auris in the showroom but would not purchase one. This is because I do believe that Toyota is on a general downward slope when it comes to interior trim quality. Toyota peaked here with the final generation (in Europe anyway) Corolla which IMHO rivalled the Golf for quality look and feel. The Auris, in comparison, looks cheap and flimsy inside and way worse looking than my Corolla. The Aygo and Yaris look similarly cheap and plasticky.

I have had a number of Toyotas over the years - Celica, Carina, Corolla - all of which were very well built and generally looked and felt good inside. It's a personal thing but, because I spend so much time inside my car I want to feel good about the inside and I'm afraid I just wouldn't with the new ranges. I just don't know how Toyota can think the new interiors can look quality. They seem to be using a plastics compound that appears hard and cheap and seriously cheap looking silver plastics. Whether the hardness of the plastics has anything to do with the rattles that some are experiencing I just don't know.

I know there will be lots of people who would disagree but maybe some who feel as I do. I am very disappointed with Toyota at present and, for the first time in many many years will probably look elsewhere for my next car :(

I am of the same opinion though this is my only Toyota. I can say the car does feel solid but the rattles I have having owned the car for 2 years is starting to have me a little worried. From the reports on the Forum regarding the Auris it doesn't inspire confidence for me to purchase another Toyota hence will be looking elsewhere when I come to change car.

I'm surprised at how many people have this rattle problem

My T180 is rattle free. I get a slight creak/rattle when i go over loads of bumps and the noise when it happens only comes from the place where the RAC replaced my windscreen - it never used to happen before.

Everything else has been superb. Drives extremely well, oil consumption hardly anything only a few mm on the marker over 6k miles, everything smooth, gearbox is even good apart from the occasional waiting for the synchromesh to engage when cold. No complaints at all.

• 3 weeks later...

My Auris and rattles inside came together as a pack too. When I had replacement car (the same model) I could hear nothing...Car had 2500miles on the clock and was quiet even driving over the bumps.

My Auris and rattles inside came together as a pack too. When I had replacement car (the same model) I could hear nothing...Car had 2500miles on the clock and was quiet even driving over the bumps.

Greg, did I understand correctly that you managed to get your car replaced due to rattles and Squeaks?

After many visits to my dealer I've now written to the dealer principal, and hope that I can get a replacement car. As I do genuinely like the Auris, just that the build quality of my example is just shocking.

Greg, did I understand correctly that you managed to get your car replaced due to rattles and Squeaks?

After many visits to my dealer I've now written to the dealer principal, and hope that I can get a replacement car. As I do genuinely like the Auris, just that the build quality of my example is just shocking.

Andy sorry if I didn't put it clear. I got replacement car due to the gearbox failure (after 150 miles!!). The replacemt car I had for 2 days was dirty with scratches but no squeaks or rattles inside...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links