Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Running Slightly Hot But Doesn't Overheat..?

xpeterpx

Just checking in with you lot to see if I need to investigate this further or if this sounds pretty normal..I've done a search but cant find anything specific like this..

My temp guage sits nicely at half way when warmed up but during normal driving can rise to 2 notches above the 1/2 way line and also in traffic.

My fans kick in at this stage but the guauge never moves from there and doesn't overheat...had it cycling like this with fans cutting in and out for around 30 mins.

I suppose I'm expecting my temp guage to read 1/2 way after the fans cut in and out again,rise slowly until they kick in again, then drop back to 1/2 way etc etc etc..

Maybe every car is different.

I've had a new rad and coolant flush and change in the last 6 months.No leaks as far as I can tell.

Wondering if I am working my fans too hard by them stopping my car from trying to overheat?

Any advice please on whether I need to investigate further on this or is this quite normal behaviour?

Thanks

Pete

It should sit half way mate.

I don't know much about coolant systems on cars tbh.

Possible slight air in the system? Or maybe the thermostat has seen better days?

Cheers guys.

yes,heating works nice and hot.

Might try a new thermostat being the cheapest option.

Do I need to bleed the whole system to fit a replacement?Also is there a guide somewhere to location and fitting to a rev1 n/a?

Thanks for the ongoing help

Peter

Could be a few things... but I wouldn't worry if it's consistently the same amount and only slightly over.

After fitting a new rad etc I'd certainly make sure you have no air at all in the system. If you had air in the system though it would shoot up all of a sudden pretty quickly. Before you fitted the new rad what level was the gauge sitting at?

Could be:

- Air in system

- Minor blockage

- Less efficient radiator if not replaced with oem part

- Not equally mixed up coolant

- Thermostat

- Faulty temperature sensor

- Lower glycol/water ratio

- Less pressure in the system

- Slightly mis-reading gauge

- Fan not generating same cfm as it once did

- Heater matirx inefficency

- Large roadkill stuck in the front bumper

- etc, etc

Have you done anything tuning wise at the same time... i.e. increased boost?

Here comes the science bit... .: Clicky :.

Thanks certainly a few things to think about there..

Out of interest would it be fair to say that if there was a problem it would overheat on idle as well on open road..?

Thanks certainly a few things to think about there..

Out of interest would it be fair to say that if there was a problem it would overheat on idle as well on open road..?

I would have thought so really.

Depends how long on idle and whether the thermostat's opened yet or not. Takes a while on idle to get the thermostat to open.

You'd need to leave it idling about 30 minutes for a true test... but bear in mind you won't have airflow for the rad at that point.

Firstly,thanks a lot for the ongoing help guys.

OK...The heaters all blowing hot when needed I think suggests the thermostat is working ok.

In all the time I had it idling (around 30 mins) I never heard the front rad fan come on and am starting to think this is where the problem might lie.The engine bay fan came on and cycled nicely as it usually does.No sign of rising temperature....

Is there test I can do to see if the engine bay fan is actually operational?

I'll try bleeding the system again to get rid of any air in it too.

Getting quite determined to solve this little mystery now!

Cheers

Pete

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links