Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whats The Best Way To Do This

Doreen_Plantpot

changing gear.

my friend has a motorbike and changes gear without the clutch, i been tryin this in my 1.3 as i heard it also saves wear on the clutch.

does anyone else do this, give it a go, its better than changing your clutch every 6 months, like i used to on my old fiesta

I cant afford new clutches!!!

DP*

You used to change your clutch every six months?

How often do you expect to change your gearbox?

Seriously Doreen, unless you get it exactly right every single time, you risk doing damage to your engine, clutch and gearbox, and possibly making your car unstable which could lead to an accident.

The clutch is there for a reason, unless you're Carols Sainz, use it.

I dont think any damage can happen as the clutch is not being used so not wearing, thats all im bothered about, i just cant afford a new clutch :crybaby:

I dont think any damage can happen as the clutch is not being used so not wearing, thats all im bothered about, i just cant afford a new clutch :crybaby:

Your choice, but believe me, there are far better ways to look after your clutch.

If you change gear carefully, and get your foot fully off the clutch before putting down lots of power then your clutch will suffer minimal damage during gear changes.

Our Rolla for example is well over 10 years old and still on its first clutch. The MR2 had its first new one not long ago, but I tend to rag that a bit. I really don't know what you did to that poor Fiesta, but honestly if you can't afford a new clutch you certainly can't afford the damage you'll do with clutchless gear changes.

Your choice, but believe me, there are far better ways to look after your clutch.

If you change gear carefully, and get your foot fully off the clutch before putting down lots of power then your clutch will suffer minimal damage during gear changes.

Our Rolla for example is well over 10 years old and still on its first clutch. The MR2 had its first new one not long ago, but I tend to rag that a bit. I really don't know what you did to that poor Fiesta, but honestly if you can't afford a new clutch you certainly can't afford the damage you'll do with clutchless gear changes.

the fiesta was just old i think so it needed feeding more clutches and my mechanic agreed, but at £600 a time i just cant afford that

it would be more with the yaris :blink: it has to be more, is it more?

do you have any pictures of your rolls royce? ive always liked them, i like the old ones painted in cream. do you have an old one, can i see pictures of your old 1?

Maybe you should consider getting a car with the MMT transmission......................you would not need to use your clutch then (and that would save your wallet) ..............and give you more time to get on with your life ;)

Who is Carols Sainz? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I meant to say Larf Mushacker, but I've forgotten how to tip roppperly.

PS Anyone else think DP is winding us up:-

1) Clutchless shifts

2) £600 a time for Fezza gearboxes which only last six months

and in another thread

3) links C: drive pics and insists that we can all see them

and yet another thread (about a Yaris posted in the Celica Forum)

4) Only getting 35 miles per litre and believes has a stone in the exhaust.

Own up, who is it?

changing gear.

my friend has a motorbike and changes gear without the clutch, i been tryin this in my 1.3 as i heard it also saves wear on the clutch.

does anyone else do this, give it a go, its better than changing your clutch every 6 months, like i used to on my old fiesta

I cant afford new clutches!!!

DP*

Doreen Plantpot..... Mmmmmmmmmm. [chuckles at screen-name]. Your Yaris deserves better treatment.

I am an experienced motorcyclist. 30 years worth to be approximate. Gearboxes in motorcycles lend themselves to this technique generally. The shift mechanism in itself is simple and if adjusted correctly has almost no slop so gear selection is very precise. Car gearboxes can be used without the clutch but they require a deal more mechanical sympathy and should have the correct sort of gears for it to be a viable technique for saving time on gearshifting. Despite what you've heard, even on 'bikes, saving on clutch wear was never the reason for adopting this method... it is purely to shave milliseconds off of each gear shift.

When you are changing up, the engine is slower to lose its revs and reach the lower speed required for a seamless mesh with the next gear up because momentum keeps it spinning longer than a motorcycle engine would when the throttle is shut. Similarly the inertia (the opposite of momentum but essentially the same thing) of a car engine's moving parts tends to be higher since motorcycles usually have fewer and lighter rotating parts. This inertia means that the engine is slower in reaching its new higher RPM on the downshift. A well-timed throttle blip can help but be careful because it can also hinder the gearshift if it s applied insensitively. For effective braking you'd need to use toe and heel on the pedals too... not recommended on the public highway, your honour.

Also, modern cars are fuelled by systems (carburettor or injection) that keep a trickle of fuel running through even on a closed throttle to help prevent backfiring in the exhaust system. The side effect to this is that the engine hangs on to its revs for a little bit after you close the throttle. You will know if your car is doing so if it has a manual gearbox but there is no appreciable engine braking on downshifts. it adds another complication to the clutchless shift technique.

In a car, the linkage between the gear lever and the box itself is usually complex enough for there to be some slop. This makes it difficult to be precise enough for a clutchless change that does not threaten to strip teeth from your gears.

Most cars have synchro-mesh in the upper gears, not straight cut gears like the faster 'bikes. These gearboxes are best used with a clutch.

If you are wearing out clutches every six months I would address your clutch technique carefully rather than advise you to wear out your gearbox by playing motorbikes behind your steering wheel.

PS. Welcome to TOC.

I saw in an earlier post of yours that you are only getting 35mpg from your Yaris... Wow! You must be thrashing the poor wee beastie.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I always thought clutches were cheaper to replace than gearboxes.

the fiesta was just old i think so it needed feeding more clutches and my mechanic agreed, but at £600 a time i just cant afford that

Change your mechanic Doreen. He will fleece you if you are really that gullible.

Who is Carols Sainz? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I meant to say Larf Mushacker, but I've forgotten how to tip roppperly.

I reckon. Don't know who though.

The 1st thing you should do is ask your driving instructor why they didn't teach you the most important thing about driving a manual car, because a clutch is not something that should be changed twice a year. If it turns out to be the car ask the mechanic why they were charging you £600 for a replacement clutch every 6 months when there was obviously something else very wrong with the car, because that is not normal.

Having said the above, you drive a Yaris now so even if it is your driving that's ruining the clutches, they should last longer than they did in the Fiesta.

I do having read this thread

Troll.

No one is genuinely this stupid.

If they are where is their minder, and why do they have a licence?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links