Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

R8 Inspired Sidelights

amnesia

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon, but I saw someone else do this and just had to do my own...

a.JPG

b.JPG

c.JPG

d.JPG

They are so bright I can't take a photo of them in the dark as the auto focus on my camera gets all confused.

:D

Wow.. never thought of that!

Tell me how!

You need to buy :

-> some of the US clear corners (ie. the ones without the sidelight hole and partition in the main part of the light). I got mine for about £14 delivered :D

-> a pair of white LED strips from eBay (about £7 delivered).

-> clear silicone sealant (£1.50 from InExcess)

Remove all the little rubber tubes and reflector units from the new lights and then heat them in the oven (gas mark 1 or 2) for no more than 10 minutes so that the silicone goes soft. You can then prise the lens away from the plastic body.

BE CAREFUL - it's easy to crack / chip the lens. There are some tabs holding them in place so you have to lever the plastic away from them.

Once you have the light unit apart, clean as much of the old silicone sealant off as you can. Try not to get any of it on the lens as it is a b#gger to get off. If you need to return the bits to the oven for a couple of minutes to soften the silicone again.

Once they are all cleaned up you can trial fit the LEDs. I had to cut 3 of the bulbs off the end of my strips as they were too long to fit neatly.

NOTE that the LEDs are wired in 3s so removing 3 at a time is fine. I tested the LEDs with several AA batteries sellotaped together in series.

I used some tiny blobs of superglue and attached the LED strip to the inside of the reflector part of the lights. The wire for the LEDs was fed through the breather hole on the back of the light. I used small modelling spring clamps to hold the strips in position for a few minutes until the glue was cured.

NOTE make sure the LEDs sit flush with the edge of the reflector or you won't be able to get the lenses back on.

Run a good bead of clear sealant all around the groove in the reflector and press the lenses back in, making sure to wipe any oozed goo off ASAP with a damp cloth. Make sure the little tabs locate properly to secure them.

To wire them up I butchered an old set of lights by cutting the sidelight bulb holder off and then crimping the new (really thin!) wires of the LED strips to the existing sidelight wires.

NOTE test the lights on your car BEFORE you crimp the wires as the LEDs will only light up one way around.

I then crimped & heatshrinked the connections and tidied it all up with insulation tape around the back of the reflector.

Fit back into your car, push on the reflectors and stand back and admire your new look.

JOB DONE !!

I already have the clear indicators, do you have to use resistors or anything or at the LEDs set up for the right voltage?

No resistors needed... they are 12v LED strips.

Just type white led strip into eBay - you want some around 9" long.

THIS would do the trick, but you will need to chop the last 3 LEDs off as it will be slightly too long.

Have fun ;)

Daniel.

Please guys don't do them.

one or two is ok but seem them on Corsa's now do not follow the crowd n bring the mighty sw20 in to chav-dome.

Please guys don't do them.

one or two is ok but seem them on Corsa's now do not follow the crowd n bring the mighty sw20 in to chav-dome.

Well who'd a thought it a yaris lover who likes MR2's....you going to get a MR2 in the future? :P

I should really hate these....

But they look damn good! Well done!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links